Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage Click for more info
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
> search | > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: prefontaine, scorch99

5k for 8 year old ??

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   5k for 8 year old ??
patriotsfan
posted Jul-15-2004 04:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for patriotsfan     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My 8 year old son likes to run. He has raced in a few 1/2 mile and 1 mile races but they are few and far between. His half mile time was 3:11. His 1 mile time a few months back was 6:42. He does no training other than soccer practice. Should he start running more and race in 5k runs or is he to young?

IP: Logged

mep5555
Cool Runner
posted Jul-15-2004 05:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mep5555   Click Here to Email mep5555     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Not too young...my 9-year old daughter has been running 5K's for over a year now. Sounds like he's quite talented to me based on those times with no training...

mep5555
Cool Runner
posted Jul-15-2004 05:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mep5555   Click Here to Email mep5555     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
You may also want to check out any youth running clubs in your area that are associated with AAU or USATF. Cross country season is coming up and your son sounds like he can be competitive in the bantam division with training...they run 3K's at that age...

Mikey314159
Cool Runner
posted Jul-16-2004 08:37 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mikey314159     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
The club I used to run with had an evil coach and ome young runners about that age. He didn't let them drink and made fun of them if they didn't run fast enough. This is not a good experience for them. Also, their parents seemed to push them too much (I'm not saying that this is you). Sometimes 5K is too long for someone htis age, and there might not be anyone for an 8 year old to compete against. I know there are shorter races for people that age so that he can race with people his age and maybe have more fun. On the other hand, if he wants to run a 5k, it is possible.

------------------
My User Profile

mep5555
Cool Runner
posted Jul-16-2004 11:47 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for mep5555   Click Here to Email mep5555     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
There's hundreds of kids that age who compete each year in USATF/AAU track meets and cross country meets. Believe me, there will be plenty of competition...these kids are fast! We're talking 12 minutes or less for a 3K will win the girls division in that age group on a difficult course. From what I have seen, at least in my area, Mikey's experience is the exception rather than the rule. The coaches here are great and strongly encourage lots of water drinking and encourage everyone regardless of ability. Kids are separated according to ability and experience with different workouts for different groups.

You want to see parents pushing their kids too hard...well it happens 100 or more times more often in baseball, football, soccer, etc. than it does in running. The bigger problem is parents who allow their kids to sit and watch TV or play video games for hours on end rather than encouraging an active lifestyle. That is a far bigger problem than parents pushing their kids too hard running.

Based on what I have observed, it's often easier for a kid to run a 5K with minimal training than it is for older folks like me.

patriotsfan
posted Jul-16-2004 01:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for patriotsfan     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks, after talking to a bunch of people in town i found out they have a running team at the local ymca that is great and is only in it for fun for the kids. I'm gonna make sure i keep it fun and make sure he doesn't over train. I think if I keep it under 6-8 miles a week that should be plenty, he does other sports like soccer and basketball.

madrush131
Cool Runner
posted Jul-16-2004 04:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for madrush131   Click Here to Email madrush131     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
5k I'd say, is the maximum he should be racing at that age. It's a great opportunity, but don't let him get to far, such as a 5 miler. He ankles are still developing and they're soft. As you get older they harder, so naturally they're get distored if he's doing long races at a young age. they'll become distorted because of his foot pounding on the ground. But all and all, sure!

DunhamRunsNVXC
Cool Runner
posted Jul-16-2004 11:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DunhamRunsNVXC   Click Here to Email DunhamRunsNVXC     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
He is very fast for his age. I think if you put him a 5K and make sure he doesnt go all out, not only will he do alright, but if he stick to it he would probably be an XC great. Just a thought.

------------------
XC = Good Times

LukeSkyrunner
posted Jul-20-2004 07:32 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for LukeSkyrunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I know this 9-year-old boy who recorded a 25:00 5K and has recorded 27:00 or less on 5Ks since he was 6, so it is possible for young kids to run that distance, and run it GOOD. Just make sure he knows how to pace himself and he'll do pretty good, considering those really good mile times.

-Luke

mep5555
Cool Runner
posted Jul-20-2004 01:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mep5555   Click Here to Email mep5555     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Yeah...no doubt he'll run a very good time if he paces himself properly...my 9-year old daughter's last 2 5K's have been 24:46 and 25:15, and she can't run a 3:11 half or 6:42 mile...3:19 is her best 800 and 6:54 in the 1500.

Just Alia
Cool Runner
posted Jul-20-2004 01:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Just Alia   Click Here to Email Just Alia     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
One race I ran, a five year old paced me.

Kadgarth
posted Aug-06-2004 08:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Kadgarth   Click Here to Email Kadgarth     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I know what you mean...when I was still only a discus thrower and not a runner and doing charity 5ks, little kids used to beat me all the time lol.

sportzfreek
posted Aug-16-2004 01:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sportzfreek     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
He's really good and I think he would be great in a 5k and I don't think it will be to much.

RobinTara
Cool Runner
posted Aug-28-2004 11:02 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for RobinTara   Click Here to Email RobinTara     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
what does your son say? I would have him run more, besides soccer to ensure he is truly prepared.
But if he really wants to do it, let him run. Will someone go with him on the course? I wouldn't let my 8 yr old sis run the 5k alone...

rematore
posted Sep-27-2004 02:59 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rematore   Click Here to Email rematore     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I ran my first race when I was 8...It was a 5 miler.

I loved it, and it was so fun to run with the old people who kept telling me I could make it (too bad for them they didn't know their encouragement would make me beat them).

I ran around 6:30 back then for a mile, so it seems your son is on track.

quote:
Originally posted by patriotsfan:
My 8 year old son likes to run. He has raced in a few 1/2 mile and 1 mile races but they are few and far between. His half mile time was 3:11. His 1 mile time a few months back was 6:42. He does no training other than soccer practice. Should he start running more and race in 5k runs or is he to young?

------------------
http://interwovendesign.com/kick/userdisplay.php3?username=rematore

rematore
posted Sep-27-2004 03:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rematore   Click Here to Email rematore     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Distorted Ankles my arse!!!! I ran 5 mile races when I was 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13....I have normal ankles and am 6'2" with no running abnormalities.

Just let him have fun, and if he likes it he'll let you know by asking to do more races or join a club. Its all about having fun at that age.

quote:
Originally posted by madrush131:
5k I'd say, is the maximum he should be racing at that age. It's a great opportunity, but don't let him get to far, such as a 5 miler. He ankles are still developing and they're soft. As you get older they harder, so naturally they're get distored if he's doing long races at a young age. they'll become distorted because of his foot pounding on the ground. But all and all, sure!

------------------
http://interwovendesign.com/kick/userdisplay.php3?username=rematore

mep5555
Cool Runner
posted Sep-28-2004 01:06 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for mep5555   Click Here to Email mep5555     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rematore:
I ran my first race when I was 8...It was a 5 miler.

I loved it, and it was so fun to run with the old people who kept telling me I could make it (too bad for them they didn't know their encouragement would make me beat them).

I ran around 6:30 back then for a mile, so it seems your son is on track.

This post makes me laugh because it is so true as it applies to my 9-year old daughter. Before each race (5K, 8K, 10K) that she runs, she always gets these adults coming up to her asking her if she's really going to run the whole race. If they only knew that she is most likely going to beat them...

jellybelly
Cool Runner
posted Oct-05-2004 09:26 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for jellybelly     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
from a voice of experience with youth running, 8 year olds definately should not road races.

Keep him playing soccer and running fast. Road races will make him slow unless he's a long distance runner using them as his tempo workouts (which at 8 years old, he obviously is not). If he really enjoys distance running, find some trails to run with him.

As far as youth clubs, there are all kinds of programs, some of which are good and some are terrible and focus on the adults getting their "action" racing their kids. You will see this ignorant and obnoxious parental involvement in many sports but make no mistake... this sport is one of them.

jb

mep5555
Cool Runner
posted Oct-06-2004 01:33 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for mep5555   Click Here to Email mep5555     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jellybelly:
from a voice of experience with youth running, 8 year olds definately should not road races.

Keep him playing soccer and running fast. Road races will make him slow unless he's a long distance runner using them as his tempo workouts (which at 8 years old, he obviously is not).
jb

How will road races make him slow???????

You are right about some youth clubs being good and some being bad...the one my daughter is in is definitely the best in my state. However, I'm sure there will be cynics who disagree and say that these young kids are running too much. My response would be to look at all the kids that ran for years with this club, and still continue to run as young adults...very few of them quit running once they graduate college. Are their workouts hard? Yep...and that's why you'd get many people objecting. Many will say 5K is too far for young kids to run...that is pure hogwash. Now I don't think they should be doing 10-mile runs or anything like that, but 5-10K is NOT too far for athletically inclined young people who train properly and like to run.

jellybelly
Cool Runner
posted Oct-06-2004 10:06 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for jellybelly     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
"my 9-year old daughter's last 2 5K's have been 24:46 and 25:15, and she can't run a 3:11 half or 6:42 mile...3:19 is her best 800 and 6:54 in the 1500."

work on her shorter distances -- even if you think she is ultimately going to be a distance runner. 5k's very occasionally as training.

What club does you daughter belong to that the kids continue to improve? I can't help but be skeptical because I've not seen much long term success from youth-club runners. My daughter belonged to a club when she was little and not one of the girls that she ran with can run with her today (and they were awesome -- winning national titles). Why? Because I saw early on that how they were training these girls was not in the best interest of their long term development (and my daughter was talented) so I pulled her out. Started her playing soccer and training her towards one or two meets per season. My phone started ringing on July 1st from Ivy League coaches.

At CYO cross county my 6 year old son outruns a 9 year old who regularly runs 5k's quite well. Why do you think that is?

jb

[This message has been edited by jellybelly (edited Oct-06-2004).]

jellybelly
Cool Runner
posted Oct-06-2004 10:08 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for jellybelly     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by patriotsfan:

work on the 1/2 mile and 1500.

denideni
posted Oct-06-2004 08:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for denideni   Click Here to Email denideni     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My 9 year old runs 5Ks and 10Ks we try to limit the amount of miles ran per week. But he enjoys it greatly. www.a2zstudio.com/tonyraces.htm

jellybelly
Cool Runner
posted Oct-06-2004 10:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jellybelly     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by denideni:
My 9 year old runs 5Ks and 10Ks we try to limit the amount of miles ran per week. But he enjoys it greatly. www.a2zstudio.com/tonyraces.htm

Please tell me that I'm mistaken. Did he run a one mile race and then a 10K on the same day?

If that's true, I don't even know what to say. My daughter summed it up pretty well when she said "oof"

mep5555
Cool Runner
posted Oct-06-2004 11:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mep5555   Click Here to Email mep5555     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jellybelly:
"my 9-year old daughter's last 2 5K's have been 24:46 and 25:15, and she can't run a 3:11 half or 6:42 mile...3:19 is her best 800 and 6:54 in the 1500."

work on her shorter distances -- even if you think she is ultimately going to be a distance runner. 5k's very occasionally as training.

What club does you daughter belong to that the kids continue to improve? I can't help but be skeptical because I've not seen much long term success from youth-club runners. My daughter belonged to a club when she was little and not one of the girls that she ran with can run with her today (and they were awesome -- winning national titles). Why? Because I saw early on that how they were training these girls was not in the best interest of their long term development (and my daughter was talented) so I pulled her out. Started her playing soccer and training her towards one or two meets per season. My phone started ringing on July 1st from Ivy League coaches.

At CYO cross county my 6 year old son outruns a 9 year old who regularly runs 5k's quite well. Why do you think that is?

jb

[This message has been edited by jellybelly (edited Oct-06-2004).]

She runs for the Jenks America Track Club here in Oklahoma...they have a website that is not really updated all that often...some of their alumni are listed on there.

http://www.jenksamericatc.org

Everything in this club is geared towards their long-term development rather than short-term rewards. In fact, if you check out the results from the last few years AAU national cross country championships, you'll see that the runners with this club generally don't do so well at the national level in the younger age groups, but they do very well at the older age groups...the 17-18 year old team won both the male and female national championship in 2002.

The reason for this is because at the younger ages they don't sacrifice their future to be good right then...instead they are just getting them used to running and building them up to be good by the time they get to high school and beyond. Jenks HS is the dominant cross country HS in this state, and most of the runners there are from this club.

The coach of this club doesn't care too much for road races...my daughter enjoys them so so that's why we run more of them than he'd prefer. There's a couple other kids in the club who do the same.

In fact, the only meets this club runs in during cross country season are the AAU qualifying meets and the national meet. During track season, they also only run the USATF and AAU qualifying meets and 1 or 2 other local meets.

swedechick
Cool Runner
posted Oct-07-2004 02:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for swedechick     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
yea i notice that Jenks has some young runners who dont start competitively but get there when they are like juniors and seniors. it used to drive me mad tthat my senior yr i was getting beaten by girls i was beating the earlier years.

a perfect example of that is when there was a girl who had had a fast older sister who ran 2:11 when she was in high school adn wins alot of roadraces now or places high in them at least,with 18s and 19s for the 5k and 31s for the 8k. the younger sister was never fast or anything. then her junior yr she ran a 2:32 in indoor, and 2:20s in outdoor. ran a 20:24 5k in xc her senior year, 2:19 800 the following indoor, and 2:17 in outdoor. the following fall, ran 19:01 5k(running with her big sister and tying together at the line) and 41:something 10k. she was beating all of my times when i was able to beat her my first 3 years of running...it made me think i was either burning out or that i could be faster than i was but just wasnt getting the right kind of training. i think it also might have been that she was kept fresh bc she only ran 800 and 4x8 at track meets and never any other distance.

i used to always wonder how Jenks runners never burned out like all the other fast runners in the state. now i know why.

------------------
~Lil Tosh~

new 2004 team roster pic...hair has gotten curlier

[This message has been edited by swedechick (edited Oct-07-2004).]

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: