Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: scorch99

Marine Corps Marathon

Topic is 5 pages:
1 2 3 4 5
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Marine Corps Marathon
eryn23
Cool Runner
posted Apr-07-2007 12:46 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for eryn23   Click Here to Email eryn23     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Anyone doing this one? It is a race that I'm VERY interested in doing, which has been peaked even more since I learned that my Team in Training chapter is doing it as an event this year.

However, I am not sure if I feel like starting marathon training again so soon. Hate to pass up the opportunity though....I know there are lots of experienced marathoners on this board so let me know your thoughts on this race, if you don't mind Thanks alot everyone!

IP: Logged

lbigrunner
Cool Runner
posted Apr-08-2007 09:50 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for lbigrunner   Click Here to Email lbigrunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I ran it a couple of years ago and am planning on running this year with my wife. The course is great except for the finish, kinda up hill, but it's over quick! Support is Great, and a lot stuff to see, that keeps your mind off the miles. As far as the training....it's only 18 weeks out of your life!

Simon

altair
Cool Runner
posted Apr-09-2007 09:25 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for altair     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I agree it's a great race. I've done it the past 2 years. This year my schedule doesn't allow it, or I'd be back again. Finish line is a little tough, all uphill. The start also has a long but not steep uphill in the first couple of miles. Other than that, the course is flat and a real tour of DC landmarks. The Marines do a great job. The race is marred only by finish-line disorganization/crowds, but one of these years they have to get it right, so why not this year?!

dzillas
Cool Runner
posted Apr-26-2007 12:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for dzillas   Click Here to Email dzillas     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm thinking of running the marine corp, it's between that and philly. I live in philly, but wouldn't mind going down to DC -- it's a short drive. Unfortunately, I've read some negative things about the organization of both marathons. I'll have to think about it. FYI www.marathonguide.com has runner's reviews of marathons.

zflavalayas
Cool Runner
posted Apr-26-2007 02:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for zflavalayas     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm planning on signing up, as well as a friend. Haven't heard anything about it either way (+/-) personally, but we both have a friend who was seriously injured over in Iraq but who has been fighting just as hard back in the states/hospital and will live... so we're running it in honor of him.

In case anyone is interested... here's a link to his story (there are more links to follow along in his progress if you want) http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061031/NEWS/610310340/1051/NEWS01

funrun99
posted Apr-27-2007 02:43 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for funrun99     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Does anyone know what the runner limit is on this race? I can't seem to find the answer on the website. I know it fills usually very fast (like within a few days, right)?

Thanks!

srlopez
Cool Runner
posted Apr-27-2007 02:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for srlopez     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'll be the dissenting opinion. I love the sights in this race... very meaningful, but I do not love the hoard of runners. Especially at the end. The area around the Iwo Jima monument is crazy crowded.

Tip, if you do this race:

Carry a water bottle for the first 3-6 miles so that you can bypass the first couple of aid stations. Ditch it when you empty it. If you are a midpacker, the first few aid stations are also crazy crowded.

Anyway, I'm happy to have done it... so if you never have, maybe you will enjoy it better than I did.

ginchy
Cool Runner
posted Apr-27-2007 09:43 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ginchy   Click Here to Email ginchy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lbigrunner:
I ran it a couple of years ago and am planning on running this year with my wife. The course is great except for the finish, kinda up hill, but it's over quick! Support is Great, and a lot stuff to see, that keeps your mind off the miles. As far as the training....it's only 18 weeks out of your life!

Simon

Hey Stranger!!!
I'm doing MCM with 3 of my friends!! I would love to see you and Gloria (?)!
How's your fishing this year? I would love it if you drop me a line!!! Janice

ktesla
Cool Runner
posted Apr-30-2007 07:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ktesla   Click Here to Email ktesla     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
im doing it with my cousin...it's a first for us both. we're very excited!

misstep
Cool Runner
posted May-07-2007 09:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for misstep     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I think I read that the course closes at 3:30 but I also heard about a time limit to get to mile 22. Anyone with experience with this?

piobaireachd
Cool Runner
posted May-08-2007 07:51 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for piobaireachd     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by altair:
The race is marred only by finish-line disorganization/crowds, but one of these years they have to get it right, so why not this year?!

Why not this year? Because the RD keeps boosting the field size. They used to get it right and it was one of the best-organized (maybe even the best organized) races in the region. This was in the days when the field size was practical and reasonable given the constraints of the course and staging areas available.

altair
Cool Runner
posted May-08-2007 11:33 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for altair     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by misstep:
I think I read that the course closes at 3:30 but I also heard about a time limit to get to mile 22. Anyone with experience with this?

I don't know anything about an overall course time limit, but the 1pm cut-off to make it onto the 14th St Bridge (at mile 20) is real. The Marines make it unnecessarily confusing by converting that to a 14mpm pace. So people start doing the math and realize that either the pace or the mileage is wrong. What the Marines were trying to do was adjust for waves, when you actually cross the start line, etc. They probably threw in slow-downs at the water tables and maybe a potty break or two! Also last year we got a late start in wave 2 and I heard that they held the bridge open a little longer.

Snooze Traveler
Cool Runner
posted May-08-2007 02:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Snooze Traveler   Click Here to Email Snooze Traveler     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by funrun99:
Does anyone know what the runner limit is on this race? I can't seem to find the answer on the website. I know it fills usually very fast (like within a few days, right)?

Thanks!

22,000 and registration starts tomorrow!

funrun99
posted May-08-2007 05:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for funrun99     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks Snooze! 22,000 - that's a drop from last year I think. Maybe it'll help with some of the finish line confusions, I hope! I'll be logging on at 12:01pm tomorrow to get in.

vlrandolph
Cool Runner
posted May-09-2007 10:34 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for vlrandolph   Click Here to Email vlrandolph     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I just registered so its obvious they opened a bit early.

------------------
Vic

Timr1
Cool Runner
posted May-09-2007 11:00 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Timr1     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I just registered.

Yeah!

tecdad
Cool Runner
posted May-09-2007 11:52 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for tecdad     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I just registered myself and DW, seemed even easier than last year!

------------------
Kevin
(aka TecDad)
My home page

"Every morning in Africa, an antelope wakes up. It knows it must outrun the lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the antelope, or it will starve.
It doesn't mater whether you're a lion or an antelope - when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."

lbigrunner
Cool Runner
posted May-09-2007 11:53 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for lbigrunner   Click Here to Email lbigrunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm in!!!!

Simon

piobaireachd
Cool Runner
posted May-09-2007 12:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for piobaireachd     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by funrun99:
Thanks Snooze! 22,000 - that's a drop from last year I think. Maybe it'll help with some of the finish line confusions, I hope! I'll be logging on at 12:01pm tomorrow to get in.

Glad to hear that they finally dropped the field size. If they drop another 8000, it'll be a tolerable size again.

How big is the associated 10K this year?

misstep
Cool Runner
posted May-09-2007 12:26 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for misstep     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
does anyone see the link to register for the 10k?

funrun99
posted May-09-2007 12:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for funrun99     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm in too!! Looking forward to lots of future postings on this site.

Anyone know why they asked for your weight?! Seemed funny to me.

clapper
Cool Runner
posted May-09-2007 12:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for clapper     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm in too.

what hotels are you guys staying in?

------------------
My User

ktesla
Cool Runner
posted May-09-2007 04:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ktesla   Click Here to Email ktesla     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Im in....see you all there!

IEatHills4Meals
Cool Runner
posted May-09-2007 04:56 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for IEatHills4Meals     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm already in with a bunch of Running Moms and Dads...

srlopez - I love your tips got good ones for Cape Cod last year... Tks again!

newMIrunner
Cool Runner
posted May-20-2007 07:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for newMIrunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Well, I'm officially in! I am now committed! This will be my FIRST marathon. I've heard this course is quite hilly, is that true? Are they "hills" or easy rolling hills? I'm a little nervous about the whole MARATHON, but excited. I have my little training plan all mapped out. I hope I keep up with it. Anyone else doing this as their first?

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 5 pages:
1 2 3 4 5
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: