Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: hally, hup

Ryan Shay Memorial Runs, November 17

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Ryan Shay Memorial Runs, November 17
jpgarland
Cool Runner
posted Nov-11-2007 07:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jpgarland   Click Here to Email jpgarland     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Since I chiefly post on this board, I thought I'd note here that runners throughout the country are doing runs in memory of Ryan Hall on Saturday, November 17. The runs would be 5.5 miles. My Club's normal run is dedicated to his memory, although, as I noted to the Club, it is a celebration of a life lived fully, if too briefly, and of being part of the running community.

IP: Logged

smpankowski
Cool Runner
posted Nov-11-2007 08:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for smpankowski   Click Here to Email smpankowski     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thank you. That man was a class act.

------------------
SteveP

My User Profile

Jim24315
Cool Runner
posted Nov-11-2007 08:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jim24315   Click Here to Email Jim24315     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My next Saturday run will be 5.5 in memory of Ryan

dtoce
Cool Runner
posted Nov-12-2007 05:55 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for dtoce     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm in.

Very fine runner who left us too soon...

dtoce
Cool Runner
posted Nov-17-2007 12:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for dtoce     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Done...x2.

RIP Ryan.

Spareribs
Cool Runner
posted Nov-17-2007 12:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Spareribs     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Just saw this. Will do mine tomorrow. Thanks for reminding us Joe. Spareribs

Jim24315
Cool Runner
posted Nov-17-2007 07:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jim24315   Click Here to Email Jim24315     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Done on route that has markers every half mile. Continued on for 14.5 more. Watched moving video on youtube after.

Econo
Cool Runner
posted Nov-17-2007 07:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Econo     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Ran 5.5 on trails -- all the moss is so green and rain drops were hanging off all the fir tree needles. It was really peaceful.

jpgarland
Cool Runner
posted Nov-17-2007 07:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jpgarland   Click Here to Email jpgarland     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
We had a nice turnout on a chilly morning here in New York.

One of the guys in our group ran Marine Corps. He spoke of the GIs and Marines who raced and wore shirts in tribute to their fellows who have died in our recent, and on-going, wars and the disabled newly learning how to use wheelchairs. He said that the spirit of all the soldiers and marines and the rest of the race participants was tremendous, further validation of how wonderful our community is.

I assume this is the video Jim refers to.

lioness1
Cool Runner
posted Nov-18-2007 07:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lioness1   Click Here to Email lioness1     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Decided to make my memorial run today since it was the day of my 8k (one of the races offered during Philly Marathon weekend). Since I was planning on only a short warm-up run yesterday, I decided the race would be a better way to remember.

And b/c it was in memory of a very tough runner who liked cold blustery weather, I actually felt it appropriate that it was a chilly, damp, windy day. I am not running that fast these days, and having recovered recently from a very bad cold, I didn't know what to expect. If fully healthy, I'd be aiming to go under 45 minutes or better still under 43! But you take the hand you're dealt sometimes. Decided I'd just aim to get "within shouting distance" of 45 minutes. And while they have my chip and clock time listed in the results as identical (47:57), I lost a minute at the start and my watch time was 46:53 (don't know what the exact chip time was).

When my focus started drifting, I felt as if I was being pushed (spiritually) to stay on target, not let up. I'd think, "shoot this hurts," and then "sure, but keep moving! Push!" And I'd see someone ahead of me--and work my way past (although I couldn't stay with a woman who passed me near the end). I knew I couldn't give up when it hurt b/c Ryan Shay was not one to give up.

Ended up being 5th in my age group out of 21! Maybe a little blessing from heaven!

hermosaboy
Cool Runner
posted Nov-18-2007 07:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for hermosaboy   Click Here to Email hermosaboy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Some of the tributes out on youtube are extremely emotional (maybe just me?).

An amazing runner -- My thoughts are with his family!!!

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: