Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: hally, hup

The Country Music HM RR...

Topic is 2 pages:
1 2
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   The Country Music HM RR...
pmcneb
Cool Runner
posted Apr-30-2007 04:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for pmcneb   Click Here to Email pmcneb     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Subtitled: A Family Affair.

Short version:
2:35:41
12327 / 19416 overall
6653 / 12222 woman
198 / 741 women age 50-54

age grade: 49.09 (I'm 51)

Goals:
1. To get DD#1 over the finish line.
2. Accomplish goal #1 in 3 hours
3. Anything under 2:45 for her would be fantastic.

A little background history:

Five members of my family originally signed up for this race in December.

Of the five: DH withdrew with Achilles tendonosis ongoing since Christmas.

DD#1- age 28- signed up for the HM. She is a virgin racer. Heck, she is a virgin runner as she just finished the C25K on New Year's Day. We will call her the VIRGIN.

DD#2 - age 25- was a high school runner. She has run in two full marathons and 1 HM before this. She has some issues with gu's and what have you on the race course. We will call her STUBBORN.

DS#2 - age 19 - was also a high school runner. He is currently a college kid and training was not there so he had decided to drop down to the HM. We will call him the WISE ONE.

And then me, HM #4. PR: 2:18.

The saga: (sorry it is long....)

We drove on Thursday night from Omaha to Kansas City where we met up with the Wise One and then flew on to Nashville. Our flight which was to depart at 9:30 pm was 90 minutes late. Checked into our hotel at 2 am. Not a good start to the weekend. We met Stubborn in Nashville as she lives in Virginia.

Friday was uneventful. Went to the expo, bought too much stuff but I was happy to have finally found the smaller sticks of body glide that fit in your pocket better.

The hotel recommended a nice restaurant nearby that had good pasta. Unfortunately, it was prom night in Nashville and they were booked. We moved on and ate at a second choice where the food was just ok.

Since we had a rental car and DH was not running, he planned to drop us off at the start line before the race on Saturday morning. Always afraid that we will get caught in race day traffic, we kept moving the departure time up. We finally settled on leaving the hotel at 5 am. We could have left at 6 am and had plenty of time as it worked out.

As we were gathering gear bags and exiting the car, Wise One said he was not running with us. He knew that Stubborn has had a hard time finishing her races as she hits the wall hard and will not listen to sage advice about taking gu, drinking Gatorade or whatever on the course. Nor will she wear a fuel belt. Some day she will learn. Marathon #1 she cramped in her calves severely but did finish the race. Marathon #2, she threw up on the course at mile 13 and managed to hobble on to finish. I would have quit both times so she is stronger than I .

Back to Wise One's decision. He had a full marathon bib number so he opted to join Stubborn on the course at mile 19 and run her to the finish. He said he had nothing to prove, he knew he could run a HM and he would rather help his sister. I know these are my own kids but I just love that.

So our group of 5 has dwindled to 3.

Fashion report: 52 degrees at start but overcast with an occasional rain drop.
Virgin opts for Body armor black shorts and body armor royal blue dry fit shirt. sunglasses, head band, underarmor sox and ? Asics shoes, double FUG - she is well endowed..

I wear black race ready shorts, light blue/turquiosish dry fit Nike shirt, FUG, Brooks addiction shoes, sox.

Stubborn wears purple shorts, purple FUG and white wife beater. ( that is not too PC but that is what the kids call them), Nike shocks

We make plenty of jokes about the women always having to do the hard work and go off to gear bag check etc. Drop off Stubborn in corral #8 as her projected finish time is 4:00:00. Virgin and I walk another 5 miles back to corral #22 where the slow people are. There were 32 corrals in total.

Fast forward 45 minutes roughly and we are across the start line. Mile one is quick for us, just getting our legs and figuring out pace for Virgin. We pass mile marker one in 11:05. I am concerned that it is too fast for Virgin but she seems OK.

Same for the next two markers. Cross 5K at 34:58. Continue on and 10 K time is 1:07:12. I am still concerned we are too fast as Virgin did most of her training on the treadmill (flat) and our long runs outdoors have been on fairly flat courses. The three 5 milers we did together on hills in the neighborhood resulted in Virgin developing shin splints 4 weeks pre-race and then severe booty lock issues when going down hill. So uphill was shin s and downhill was butt. If you have run Nashville, they are not lying when they say it is rolling hills. I don't think there was more than 2 city blocks that were on level ground.

We go down a huge long hill - not steep but a long grind - fun on the way down but this part of the course is out and back so I know we will have to run up it. This is some where around mile 7 on the return trip. Virgin decides she needs to walk it. I am OK with that. Whatever it takes to get her through it.

10 mile mark we are still doing ok...1:55:50.

Then she starts slowing down. I remember thinking I could probably walk faster but do not want to walk as she is still trying to run, although slowly. We have now slowed to roughly 13 minute miles for the last three miles.

But she finishes at a run and all is well for her.

Now back to the Stubborn one. She is not aware of this but my DH has made an airport run and picked up her boyfriend. He has never watched her run. It is a surprise for her that he has come...bearing gifts.

Wise One text messages us that Stubborn is now at 25 miles and loopy. As I said, he is the wise one as she never would have finished without his support. At the last on course band, Wise one text messages that she does not realize what mile marker she is at. DH picks them up before mile 26 and runs with them a short distance. Wise one continues on with Stubborn. The boyfriend jumps on course at 26.1. Stubborn looks at him and says..."You are not my Dad." Still can't quite figure out why he is there. She is in a fog.

Boyfriend makes sure she is across the finish line, drops to one knee and hands her a ring box. The crowd around her cheers. All she can say is, "It's from Borshiem's( a wonderful jewelry store in Omaha). What???"

Then he puts the ring on her finger . The crowd is silent as she has not said yes. Finally she smiles and attempts to hit his arm but misses and bursts out crying. The crowd claps and our family racing event is over.

She will never get a better finish line prize. Thank God she didn't end up in the medical tent.

PS....Wise One is telling anyone who asks him how his marathon went that he got a marathon medal. He is just omitting the part about only running 7 miles, not 26.2.

If you have read this far, you are either a saint or very bored.

editted to add the hardware photo.

------------------
Patty

[This message has been edited by pmcneb (edited Apr-30-2007).]

[This message has been edited by pmcneb (edited Apr-30-2007).]

IP: Logged

lamerunner
Cool Runner
posted Apr-30-2007 05:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lamerunner   Click Here to Email lamerunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
What was Stubborn's time? That is so cool that you all went down there together.

Canfit
Cool Runner
posted Apr-30-2007 05:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Canfit     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Patty - a great family story ...the kind memories are made of. I have 'young adults' around the same ages so I can appreciate your journey. I only wish I could get mine running like yours. BTW ...you also seem to have the patience of Job.
PJ

pmcneb
Cool Runner
posted Apr-30-2007 05:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for pmcneb   Click Here to Email pmcneb     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Stubborn's stats:

4:38:14

5k: 28:52
6 mile: 54:18
10 mile: 1:30:07
half:1:57:46

212 / 512 division palce

------------------
Patty

John2635
Cool Runner
posted Apr-30-2007 05:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for John2635     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Very cool story. Congrats to all of you, but especially to stubborn & her boy friend, who will remember this day for the rest of their lives. I just love these original proposals.

Ileneforward
Cool Runner
posted Apr-30-2007 05:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ileneforward     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Nobody can beat that report! Tragedy, Comedy, Suspense and Romance!! The whole family involved too. Great racing pmcneb! And the best report ever. Congratulations! You have a family to be proud of. I hope you all keep racing together.

Sans Souci
Cool Runner
posted Apr-30-2007 07:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sans Souci     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I don't know what aspect of your RR I like the most, Patty. It's ALL great!

Okay, found it.

quote:
He said he had nothing to prove, he knew he could run a HM and he would rather help his sister. I know these are my own kids but I just love that.

I love that too.

Congratulations to the family and thanks for writing such a fun RR. I hope Boyfriend -- now FiancÚ -- is a runner

JJJessee
Cool Runner
posted Apr-30-2007 07:26 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JJJessee     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Tell Stubborn congrats on the hardware.
That's a great family story sure to gleam with the polish of time.
JJJ

rosecoloredglasses
Cool Runner
posted Apr-30-2007 08:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rosecoloredglasses     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Fabulous, simply fabulous! Neb, you outdid yourself on this one!

Loved it! Great family running love story!

~ St. Rose of Virginia

cajohnson5
Cool Runner
posted Apr-30-2007 10:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for cajohnson5   Click Here to Email cajohnson5     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Wow, Patty, what a touching story. Yes, you have a terrific family. And the proposal ... your new son-in-law is going to fit right in with the rest of your family, isn't he? Congratulations on making such fine memories. cj

smpankowski
Cool Runner
posted May-01-2007 04:53 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for smpankowski   Click Here to Email smpankowski     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Patty, This is one of the best RRs ever! Family Participation is wonderful!!!The dramatic finish with a dash of suspense!!! Thanks.

------------------
Never regret anything that made you smile, SteveP

My User Profile

tselbs
Cool Runner
posted May-01-2007 05:58 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for tselbs   Click Here to Email tselbs     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
What a great report and great time for the entire family. You supported one daughter, son supported another daughter, dad and boyfriend helped at end, and then a ring. On top of all that, there was some nice running. Family means so much and you've sure got it. Congratulations.

TomS

------------------
My Profile

vista129
Cool Runner
posted May-01-2007 07:21 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for vista129   Click Here to Email vista129     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Jeepers....jeepers.....jeepers !!!!

I keep thinking I have read the best RR ever on this site and then someone pulls off a better one....LIKE THIS ONE.

What a great story of FAMILY...

Somehow there is a pun here about "racing to get married", but I won't spoil this great story.

CONGRATULATIONS to ALL !!!!!

Was the WISE ONE plugged into the boyfriend a head of time that STUBBORN has to make it to the finish line? I suspect colaboration here......which adds to the fun

Thanks SO much for sharing this. It is a great story.

------------------
vista129

kameele
Cool Runner
posted May-01-2007 07:30 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for kameele     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Great race, even better report!! Best wishes to the happy couple and many years running together.

pmcneb
Cool Runner
posted May-01-2007 07:32 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for pmcneb   Click Here to Email pmcneb     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Wise One was aware that the boy friend was there to do the deed. But he is as competitive as Stubborn is and as he said, he would have done everything but carry her over the finish line just so she could get there, ring or no ring.

Thanks for all of your nice replies.

The hardest part of the entire event was not spoiling the surprise. The boyfriend had called us two weeks earlier to ask permission/blessings to marry her.

He is a keeper.

------------------
Patty

[This message has been edited by pmcneb (edited May-01-2007).]

runningindc
Cool Runner
posted May-01-2007 09:17 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for runningindc   Click Here to Email runningindc     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Wow, what a race. It is always nice to read of family outings, and this is one that will be in the memory books for a very long time. Thanks for sharing the day with us. Oh yea, nice hardware

------------------
Running in wellness

Liz

Lizs Profile

dtoce
Cool Runner
posted May-01-2007 09:20 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for dtoce     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
definitely one of the best 'race' reports ever...

congratulations to all!

ksrunr
Cool Runner
posted May-01-2007 10:48 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ksrunr   Click Here to Email ksrunr     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Wonerful race report/story. Thanks for sharing that with us.

ksrunr

hermosaboy
Cool Runner
posted May-01-2007 10:57 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for hermosaboy   Click Here to Email hermosaboy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
WOW!!!

Dark Horse
Cool Runner
posted May-01-2007 11:10 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dark Horse     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Patty,

Wow, I feel as though I've been through the wringer after reading this one!

You all ran well, with very good AG placings, and I loved the cast of characters and the drama.

Nice rock, too.

Dark Horse

------------------
I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course

pmcneb
Cool Runner
posted May-01-2007 11:28 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for pmcneb   Click Here to Email pmcneb     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
In all honesty, I am trying to not look back.

I know I can run faster. Every race I have run has been with a member of my family that has needed to walk at some point. I haven't felt the need in any of them but our deal has always been to stick with each other for support.

Family comes first before PR's

Maybe I will just set my watch and go off and run 13.1 miles by myself to see what I can do.

------------------
Patty

piejones
Cool Runner
posted May-01-2007 11:41 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for piejones   Click Here to Email piejones     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
If the stubborn daughter got a marriage proposal, I'd hate to think what kind of proposals were received along the way by a 28 yr old, well endowed, virgin.

Great report. The family affair events always make the best reads since the joy just shines through. I'm sure it was an event your family will cherish always. Outstanding.

Timr1
Cool Runner
posted May-01-2007 11:42 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Timr1     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Wow! Totally cool report/story. I was probably milling around the food about the time that Subborn crossed the line. Wish I had been paying attention!

Thanks for sharing all the drama.

mbelongia
Cool Runner
posted May-01-2007 12:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mbelongia     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Patty, what a great day your entire family had...and at a race, no less. It does, indeed, sound like the future SIL is a keeper. It was a fun read - (and I'm no saint, nor bored).

willdebeest
Cool Runner
posted May-01-2007 12:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for willdebeest   Click Here to Email willdebeest     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Great story Patty. I wish my family would try running. They all think I'm nuts, but I was long before I started running!

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 2 pages:
1 2
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: