Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: hally, hup

What are your 2007 running goals?

Topic is 4 pages:
1 2 3 4
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   What are your 2007 running goals?
Tramps
Cool Runner
posted Dec-24-2006 10:58 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tramps     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
For my second year of running, my goals (in order of priority) are to:

1. Remain healthy and injury free.
2. Run regularly (average 30 miles/wk; about 1,600+ miles).
3. Maintain my weight below 160.
4. Run at least 6 of the 10 local "Grand Prix" races.
5. Do modest strength work and stretching regularly.
6. Run a sub-4 marathon.
7. PR in at least one other distance.

IP: Logged

sekd256
posted Dec-24-2006 09:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sekd256   Click Here to Email sekd256     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My goals for 2007 are simple

finish the C25K

run the jail break 5k run

do the 1 hour runner

train to go up to 10ks

run the bridge to bridge 10k in San Francisco

Lose 120lbs to get to 200 lbs

munchkn883
Cool Runner
posted Dec-25-2006 01:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for munchkn883     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Get to where I can run an entire 5K again! Might not seem like much, but for me it would be huge!!

letchitsa1
Cool Runner
posted Dec-25-2006 01:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for letchitsa1     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My 2007 goals: run at least 1,000 miles, stay injury free, get my weight back down to at least 160s.

------------------
Letchitsa1

MyLog

bergg
posted Dec-25-2006 04:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bergg     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
1. Spring 1/2 Marathon 1:59 or under.
2. weight under 199 lbs
3. Finish 1st full marathon in late Fall or a total of 3 1/2 marathons
4. Start Orienteering runs

more later...

AA717driver
Cool Runner
posted Dec-25-2006 07:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for AA717driver   Click Here to Email AA717driver     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Since this time last year, I wasn't running and couldn't conceive of me running more than 3 miles, '06 was a resounding success.

Drum roll please!

1. No injuries (again)
2. Do as many 15k trail races as I can.
3. Do a HM
4. Get my daughter in a 5k.
5. Keep posting on CR!

Happy New Year everyone! TC

tomwhite
Cool Runner
posted Dec-25-2006 07:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for tomwhite     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
........hit 168-hours for 2007...........made it to 5-days 9-hours this year,,,,,,,

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but it was a ROUGH year,,,,,,,,,

nicugal
posted Dec-25-2006 07:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for nicugal     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
For 2007:

1. Maintain my 2006 weight loss.
2. Stay injury free (hear that, knees?)
3. Complete the Triple Crown half marathon challenge (Carlsbad, La Jolla, AFC)
4. Qualify for Boston

Happy New Year to all!
Linda

Johnnystella7
posted Dec-26-2006 06:34 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Johnnystella7   Click Here to Email Johnnystella7     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
1. Run two marathons and 4 half marathons
2. Beat my PR on the following distances:
-5K, 5 Miler, 10K, 10 miler, half, and full marathon
3. Try to run 40mpw
4. Eat better, drink less beer, drop weight to 170 (I'm 6F)
5. Do some cross training each week like swimming or biking.

cajohnson5
Cool Runner
posted Dec-26-2006 08:14 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for cajohnson5   Click Here to Email cajohnson5     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
1) Finish 2nd marathon with no walk breaks
2) PR in Indy Mini
3) Get to goal weight
4) Stay consistent

------------------
My User Profile
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

patrickb151
Cool Runner
posted Dec-26-2006 09:50 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for patrickb151     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Goals? We don't need no steenkin' goals!

<cough>

My goals for the year are:

1) To run the Ellerbe Springs marathon (not for time)
2) To run the St. Louis marathon in under 4:30:59.
3) To run the Grandfather Mountain marathon - this is tentative (train on hills, hills, hills)
4) To continually and constantly pick other events to train for in order to keep from getting in a rut, even if I don't run as well as expected.
5) To continue to train with weights and the exercise ball and shore up those core muscles.
6) To help my family get and stay healthy and in good shape, according to the extent to which they are interested in doing so. (gently, gently)
7) To add more goals as required.

euphoric
Cool Runner
posted Dec-26-2006 01:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for euphoric     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'd like to increase my distance even if I maintain the same pace. I hope to spend more time on softer surfaces and give up the love of the road. My biggest goal is to run the Army Ten Miler next October with the soldiers on Ward 57, Walter Reed, in mind. They have lost limbs, but not heart. I'm hoping that will be motivation enough.

MrC
Cool Runner
posted Dec-27-2006 12:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MrC     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
2006 brought me a summer injury that sidelined me for a couple of months and made me start all over. My goals for 2007 are:

1) Have an injury free year

2) Run 780+ miles (15 mpw avg)

3) Be at a 20 mpw pace by year's end

4) PR in the 5k

Econo
Cool Runner
posted Dec-27-2006 01:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Econo     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
1. Get rid of current foot problems
2. sub 25 5K
3. sub 53 10K
4. sub 4 marathon (I may as well wish for the moon in hand)

bty
Cool Runner
posted Dec-27-2006 02:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bty     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
1a) 1st Marathon June 2nd (Just finish it)

1b) Finish it in <4:00:00

2a) sub 43:00 10k

2b) sub 21:00 5k

3a) Medal at the Empire State Games Masters Division Discus Throw

3b) Bench Press >250 pounds at <180 pounds body weight (this one's just for fun).

4a) 10 months of 100 miles or more

4b) 1200 miles for year.

5) Begin training in 2nd half of 2007 for a swim/bike/run triathlon in 2008

Julian Howe
posted Dec-27-2006 05:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Julian Howe     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

lose 12/14 lb

1.27.00 half

sub 40 10K

keep injury free

What has always puzzled me reading some of the strings is the distance some people do compared to the times they achieve.

I started using the Cool Running Log in late 2003 and have covered

594 this year ( I will go over 600 by 31/12/2006 )

685 2005

527 2004

I'm 56 and my PB's this year were

1.30.09 half

41.10 10K

I would love to train more but seem to go from one niggle to the next especially achilles tendon.

This year I got shin splints as well which are generally supposed to effect new runners. They took a long time to get over even though I stopped training as soon as they flared up.

I always hold back when sore and never run on successive days.

Yet some people have the fitness and commitment to do far far more miles than me but post far slower times.

The only reason I can think of is that because I can't run much I try to make as much out of each session that I can.
But I am very carefull and I don't think the way I train creates the injuries.

If this is the case could it be that quality not quantity is the answer ?

I have the time and commitment to do a 1000 miles plus per year and if I did I could easily get to the weight I want and I can't imagine what my times would be then.

I won't mention that I smoke the odd cigar as it really upsets the fellow runners in my club especially the younger ones I beat !

Any way good luck to every one for 2007. I already have my work cut out as my club have changed the rules and I have to do 13 races in 2007 just to get considered for an award.

tallrunner
Cool Runner
posted Dec-27-2006 08:48 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for tallrunner   Click Here to Email tallrunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Get weight down to 205 by April 16th
Run sub 3 at Boston on April 16th

That's it. the rest is gravy....
Hmm...getting hungry (resist, resist)...

Tall

bty
Cool Runner
posted Dec-27-2006 08:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bty     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Julian -

You fast, me slow. No need to puzzle your puzzler further.

Brian

jorgenunes
posted Dec-27-2006 09:00 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jorgenunes     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Run 1200 miles and win a lottery spot in the NYC Marathon, and run it under 3:30

mcsolar99
Cool Runner
posted Dec-27-2006 09:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mcsolar99   Click Here to Email mcsolar99     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
(1) give a race volunteer a big, sweaty thank-you hug each time i race
(2) bring my daughter to watch three local track meets and cheer LOUDLY!
(3) 2004 = 40 mi/week, 2005 = 45, 2006 = 50, 2007 =

huskydon
Cool Runner
posted Dec-27-2006 10:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for huskydon   Click Here to Email huskydon     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
2007 Running Goals

1) Be injury free

2) Run over 1000 miles

3) Improve race times over '06 in 5K, 10K, 10 mile, and HM

4) Run a mile in under seven minutes

5) Volunteer for at least one race

6) Meet more Cool Running Boomers

I am chagrined to note that I spent more time thinking about these goals than any goals I might have outside of running....

Huskydon

TammyM
Cool Runner
posted Dec-28-2006 12:46 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for TammyM   Click Here to Email TammyM     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I also want to add that a goal for 2007 is to run with Tet. That is one goal I was not able to fulfill in 2006. I think 2007 is going to be my year!

Tetsujin30
Cool Runner
posted Dec-28-2006 12:58 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tetsujin30   Click Here to Email Tetsujin30     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I lost ilene and never found you in Portland but a mile in Eugene in our you-know-whats will make up for everything, . . . and even make 30 years of doing this worthwhile. Maybe econo can help us find some very, very smooth surfaces to do it on.

Econo
Cool Runner
posted Dec-28-2006 01:43 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Econo     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Oh Tetsujin! And I love the abbreviated translation of your greetings the other day on the daily thread. Pretty sneaky!

I will order up the smoothest surface possible for your Eugene barefoot marathon debut, Tet!

Getting Healthy
Cool Runner
posted Dec-28-2006 09:51 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Getting Healthy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Goals for 2007
1. Get to goal weight
2. Stay injury free
3. Run 3-4X a week or 156-208X for the year
4. Run 15-25 mpw or 780-1300 miles for the year (and track it!!!)
5. Improve on my 10 mile, 10K and 5K times from 2006
6. Run Mackinaw Island 8 miler in September (entire perimeter of island...... havenít run it in years).
7. Run a race Iíve never run before....... even if it requires traveling.
8. Volunteer at 3 or more races
9. Meet up with Cool Running boomers again and meet more.
Lynne

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 4 pages:
1 2 3 4
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: