Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: NoRacer

Piriformis Syndrome

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Piriformis Syndrome
runtoeat
posted Nov-02-2007 07:08 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for runtoeat   Click Here to Email runtoeat     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have Piriformis Syndrome and I do not know what to do. Should stop running and for how long? How long does it take to heal from this? Thank you for replying! I would greatly appericate it!

Shannon

IP: Logged

BeeMan458
Cool Runner
posted Nov-02-2007 08:16 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for BeeMan458     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Have you checked into stretching? Stretches are an often overlooked, underplayed answer. I have sciatica from a bulging disk from several years ago. Stretching is now a regular part of my running.... well jogging and walking.

A couple of links to help you as I don't know how much research you've put into this problem.

http://tinyurl.com/2s76ge

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/piri.html

Hope the above is found helpful and wishing you well with your situation.

[This message has been edited by BeeMan458 (edited Nov-02-2007).]

furseal
Cool Runner
posted Nov-02-2007 10:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for furseal     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
If you haven't tried it, chiropractic can be REALLY helpful. This is often times caused by a maladjustment of L4/L5 and/or your sacorilliac joint. I know some people don't believe in chiropractic, but if you find an ethical, reasonable one who won't have you coming back for 100 adjustments and ONLY treats muscular-skeletal problems (no chiropractor on this earth can cure cancer or MS, sorry), it can, will, and does help.

Stretching didn't help me much, actually made it worse, but your results may vary. Give it a shot, and if it doesn't help, quit.

I had this VERY severely and exercise actually helps manage mine...keeps everything strong, loose, and in line. If I don't work out - doesn't have to be running either, biking, walking, and elliptical all work - within 2 weeks it's back in full force, so I wouldn't say that not exercising will help you. It's caused by a tight muscle in the first place...if you stop all activity it will only get worse. Yours may be caused by strain or overuse, but still do exercise GENTLY. Walk instead of run, or bike, or swim. Just make sure you stay fit and limber...you'll heal faster.

survived99
Cool Runner
posted Nov-03-2007 10:56 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for survived99   Click Here to Email survived99     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I was diagnosed with piriformis syndrome last January. I went through tons of physiotherapy which helped a bit, but not much.

I started doing "figure 4" stretches, plus the piriformis stretch. Was told to do clam shell exercises to strengthen my gluteus medius. Did "bridge" exercises, etc, etc. Nothing seemed to help very much.

I suffered quite a bit until the end of July when I got orthotics as a last resort. After a couple of tries to get the right orthotic, as prescribed by a pedorthist in a sports clinic, I no longer have any pain at all.

There were times when I could hardly do my job, which requires me to sit down quite a bit at the computer, because the pain in my "butt" was so bad.

It took about 3 months for the piriformis to settle down. From what I've read on the internet this can be a chronic problem and that stopping running doesn't necessarily help. But cutting down a bit probably will, until you can figure out what is causing it. I suggest you go to a sports clinic for advice.

Good luck!

esharp550
posted Nov-13-2007 11:34 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for esharp550     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have struggled with this for a couple years. Once going to a chiropractor for it took me off running two months as he accidently injured me trying to work on it.
Physical therapy was helpful with hip alignment being the major cause in my case and heat treatments.
Ultimately though, I have found that the best maintenance has been through yoga. I do it at least twice a week to maintain alignment and strengthen core and back muscles--all of which help support the pirifomis muscles--and keep even stretching throughout my body.

truthfully, I no longer stretch before or after a run. I do little adjustments during if I notice imbalance but I save all my stretching and strengthening for a disciplined yoga practice and I've been running for about 9 months problem free this way.
good luck...its painful

scottNY
Cool Runner
posted Nov-13-2007 10:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for scottNY   Click Here to Email scottNY     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by esharp550:
I have struggled with this for a couple years. Once going to a chiropractor for it took me off running two months as he accidently injured me trying to work on it.
Physical therapy was helpful with hip alignment being the major cause in my case and heat treatments.
Ultimately though, I have found that the best maintenance has been through yoga. I do it at least twice a week to maintain alignment and strengthen core and back muscles--all of which help support the pirifomis muscles--and keep even stretching throughout my body.

truthfully, I no longer stretch before or after a run. I do little adjustments during if I notice imbalance but I save all my stretching and strengthening for a disciplined yoga practice and I've been running for about 9 months problem free this way.
good luck...its painful

I'd like to know what poses I should do for help with my piri. prob.?'

thanks
scott

PeytonH
Cool Runner
posted Nov-17-2007 03:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for PeytonH   Click Here to Email PeytonH     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Anyone with piriformis syndrome ever experience pain through the hip/abductor region? I am currently treating what I believe to be P.S., but am not entirely convinced because of the location of my discomfort (not that I don't have significant tightness in my butt). Any help would be appreciated.

BELLABOO
posted Dec-06-2007 07:00 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for BELLABOO   Click Here to Email BELLABOO     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I read all the replys for the piriformis & hip problems - people its all related - from butt all the way down to feet. My husband & I are both ultra runners and my husband suffered so badly with this he almost couldn't walk. He finally took my advice and went to my chiropractor. (Without him, I couldn't run) Not just a run of the mill chiro - a good sports one that works at the Hawaii Ironman races and is the Hurricanes main guy. He does more than adjust bones - he really gets into that muscle/tendon and works it. My husband limped in and sprung out. He runs with no pain and the tightness is do-able. We all have our weak points - those areas we have to baby a bit. BUT please take my advice and find a good chiro and combine it with a couple of good sports massages. You'll be fixed up in no time flat!!!

mtngrl
Cool Runner
posted Dec-07-2007 08:09 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for mtngrl   Click Here to Email mtngrl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I've replied to similar posts suggesting www.sacrowedgy.com. I tried all of the above routes and this is the one thing that really helped me. And no, I don't have anything to do with the company!

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: