Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: NoRacer

Heel & Foot Pain

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Heel & Foot Pain
RacingThoughts
Cool Runner
posted Jul-24-2007 09:56 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for RacingThoughts     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
After a long run this past Saturday morning I had this excruciating pain in my left heel and along the outside of my foot when I walk on it.

I gave it a day to rest and went for a run last night (Monday). About a half a mile the run I started feeling the pain again. I'm a forefoot striker and it hurt every time my heel touched the ground (very lightly). After the first mile, I took off my shoes (Mizuno Wave Rider 10s, highish heel) and ran barefoot for a while. It helped a lot at first but eventually came back, although not as bad.

I couldn't walk on it afterwards without major pain. Yet if I walk on my forefoot only it feels fine. I can still feel it this morning but it's not as bad. I'm thinking it's a heel spur, and maybe even PF.

Has anyone else experienced this same kind of pain? Should I give it a few days or go to the doctor? My first race is in 2.5 weeks and I really don't want this to hold me back.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I have high arched feet and don't have any pain when pushing on the arch or the heel. It is very slightly tender on the outside of my foot at the front of the heel. After the run on Saturday I had some pain in my left outer ankle as well, but I didn't twist or sprain it, and there was no swelling.

[This message has been edited by RacingThoughts (edited Jul-24-2007).]

IP: Logged

Diesel88
Cool Runner
posted Jul-24-2007 10:02 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Diesel88     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I would go to see the doc as soon as possible. While heel spurs and PF are uncomfortable, the fact you cannot walk without 'major pain' makes me think it could be along the lines of a stress fracture.

Have you done anything different like an sudden increase in your mileage / training over the past several weeks?

RacingThoughts
Cool Runner
posted Jul-24-2007 10:09 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for RacingThoughts     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Today I can walk on it fine without major pain, only a slight discomfort. I've been trying to average around 12-15 miles a week but had a couple of weeks in between that I was too busy to get my long run in, so they were more like 7 mile weeks.

Here's my training log:
http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/log/display.cgi?u=RacingThoughts;s=RacingThought

I started running again two months ago. I eased into it very gradually, walking most of the time at first and slowly adding more time running.

RacingThoughts
Cool Runner
posted Jul-24-2007 02:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RacingThoughts     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Scratch that, it still hurts today. More when I walk around barefoot and less in dress shoes which have about a 1-inch heel. It hurts even when I walk on my forefoot only. I can really feel the pain when I shift the weight on my foot from side to side. It gets worse with activity, and feels better after rest, which is the opposite of PF from what I've read.

I just realized that over the past few weeks I've done more and more of my running on concrete. Last week was about 75% concrete.

I start a new job next week, which means a new insurance provider w/ new deductibles, so it doesn't make sense to go to the doctor until then. I'm going to rest it this week and see how it feels.

[This message has been edited by RacingThoughts (edited Jul-24-2007).]

RacingThoughts
Cool Runner
posted Jul-26-2007 08:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RacingThoughts     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
After doing some more reading I'm starting to think it's peroneus tendonitis.

-Doesn't hurt to touch
-I can jump and land on my forefoot and heels and neither hurt
-Tightness in tendon on outside of left calf and ankle
-Pain in ankle, outside of foot near front of heel (peroneus longus & brevis below, yellow arrow), and under midfoot / heel (peroneus longus).
-Can be caused by walking on an uneven, hard suface (slanted concrete track near my house)

Has anyone had this? How long did it take to recover?

[This message has been edited by RacingThoughts (edited Jul-26-2007).]

Kerren
posted Jul-27-2007 08:57 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Kerren   Click Here to Email Kerren     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
In my opinion as a sports massage therapist, I agree that your symptoms point to peroneal tendinitis. That means that the tendons that attach your peroneal muscles to your foot are inflamed.
The reason it feels worse when barefoot and during activity is due to an issue in the muscle when it has to contract and relax.
Generally, when you feel pain or have inflammation in a tendon, you should look to the belly of the muscle to find the cause. An adhesion or "knot" in your peroneals will cause a shortening and increased tension on the tendons.

With all that said, here's what I would do:
Check your running shoes to make sure they are not wearing unevenly, this came bring on the issue.
I would ice the tendon area near the foot and ankle; but I would use heat on the belly of the muscle (outside calf, mid lower-leg). You want the heat to bring circulation to the cause and ice to bring down inflammation at the tendon.
I would also use a tennis ball (in a sock), or The Stick, or the palm of your hand to compress all along your calf muscles.
If you have access to a good massage therapist, I would have them work on all the calf muscles, including the peroneals and soleus; but do not let them cross-fiber the tendon which would just irritate the injury.
Hope this is helpful. If you have any questions, give a holler.

------------------
Kerren Lynch-Gallagher, MS,NCMT, PFT
www.Killerlifestyle.com
www.Killersocks.com

RacingThoughts
Cool Runner
posted Jul-27-2007 12:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RacingThoughts     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hey thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the confirmation and advice.

Last night I took a rolling pin to the peroneus muscles up near the outside of my calf and down to my ankle. It was definitely tight and I felt a knot there. It was very painful. I also iced the outside of my foot and ankle where the tendons run. It feels much better today, although I can still feel a little discomfort. I'll keep doing all those things you mentioned. Again, thanks!

Kerren
posted Jul-27-2007 03:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Kerren   Click Here to Email Kerren     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
No problem; glad I could help.
The rolling pin is a great idea.
When you're all recovered, start adding some stretching and strengthening of the peroneals.

------------------
Kerren Lynch-Gallagher, MS,NCMT, PFT
www.Killerlifestyle.com
www.Killersocks.com

becky75
posted Jul-27-2007 09:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for becky75   Click Here to Email becky75     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I had the same symptoms as you, and it ended up being a stress fracture. I thought I was being a wimp, so I ran a half marathon on it, and couldnt walk afterwards. If you cant see a sports dr., I would take a few days off and see if you still have the pain. Good luck...

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: