Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: NoRacer

Blood taste in mouth

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Blood taste in mouth
flipside
posted Feb-26-2007 05:00 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for flipside   Click Here to Email flipside     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i run about three times a week about 2.5 miles, every so often i can taste blood in my mouth. There is no set pattern to it and sometims it is not there at all, also i dont taste it when i am not running.

Is this normal?

Many thanks for taking the time to read this
Flip

IP: Logged

camelot
Cool Runner
posted Feb-26-2007 05:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for camelot     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hello,
Is this sweat getting in your mouth?

------------------
Camelot

flipside
posted Feb-26-2007 05:18 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for flipside   Click Here to Email flipside     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
hi

No i am very warm but i dont sweat allot

Many thanks

Flip

glockgirl
posted Feb-26-2007 05:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for glockgirl   Click Here to Email glockgirl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have had this happen to me twice, both times running a hard 5K race @ night in cooler temps (50's in FLA); didn't visually see any blood just had the taste, someone told me it was from breathing hard in cooler weather irritating the bronchial and mucous membrane of the nasal passage linings.

------------------
Deb

flipside
posted Feb-27-2007 05:03 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for flipside   Click Here to Email flipside     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
hi

Glockgirl, i think u may have hit it right on the nose when this happens it is usually when i am breathing very hard and i run in the morning so it is normally cold.

Th symptons you describe almost match mine,

Many thanks everyone

Flip

nmcmurdo
Cool Runner
posted Mar-07-2007 06:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for nmcmurdo     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
This is very common - much worse for cyclists where the speed of the cold hair hitting the back of the threat is faster. As far as I know, it's not harmful in any way though.

xenonXe
posted Oct-05-2007 05:30 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for xenonXe     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I had this same problem. It tends to happen more in cold weather. I haven't had this problem, however, since I began to control my breathing: in through the nose, out through the mouth. I'm guessing as a runner you'd already do this but it's worth telling you anyway.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: