Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: NoRacer

Morton's Neuroma ARGH!

Topic is 15 pages:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Morton's Neuroma ARGH!
IRS
posted Feb-14-2007 01:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for IRS   Click Here to Email IRS     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
So, I've made it almost all the way through the Couch to 5K program twice now and I've had to quit one time due to laziness (I love the holidays! Or the weight-gaining time as I like to call it) and the second time due to my foot condition. I've been diagnosed with Morton's Neuroma and my podiatrist injected the neuroma and that made things better for a while (I also got pads and inserts for my shoes). However, since early January I have been trying to run again and my left foot is KILLING ME. I'm even starting to have trouble walking longer distances.

Is surgery my only option here? I really would love to find another way out of this.

And the big question - will the Neuroma go away if I treat it properly or will it always exist until I have surgery (which I *do not* want)?

IP: Logged

SteffeySue
posted Feb-14-2007 02:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for SteffeySue     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My husband has one. His doctor (a podiatrist) didn't want to do surgery because his doctor said it can make it worse as often as it helps. The doctor didn't offer much encouragement. It had become so painful for him that he had trouble even standing for more than a few minutes, and shopping was a misery, much less any serious hiking. So, I talked him into trying my running shoe store. We had his shoes properly fitted with orthotics at the running store. All of his shoes that he wears on a daily basis were replaced in order to provide more room for the ball of his foot and toes. This was only two pair of shoes to start with, but it included steel toed boots for work. Next, I got him some RxCrocs, to wear around the house. No more bare feet. After 3 months, his neuroma has really loosened up and he doesn't have the pain very often. And he is back to hunting and fishing and hiking! Although, I am sorry he can shop, again!

All Deliberate Speed
posted Feb-14-2007 04:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for All Deliberate Speed   Click Here to Email All Deliberate Speed     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I know the pain. I had neuromas in both feet.

I had surgery back in 2001 on one foot. Thre is no problem with that foot now except for a minor loss of feeling in two toes.

For the other foot, in 2003-2004, I went to a different podiatrist. I wanted to explore options other than surgery. The new Dr. recommended a series of injections with an alcohol based solution. I had five or six injections. It cleared up the problem. That foot is now pain free and there is no loss of feeling in the toes.

I would recommend that you talk to your podiatrist. If the Dr. thinks that surgery is the only option, you might want to talk to another podiatrist about treatment other than surgery. Although surgery will remain an available option.

IRS
posted Feb-15-2007 05:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for IRS   Click Here to Email IRS     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Okay, I'm very interested to know about the alcohol treatment. I'm looking it up online as we speak. It's good that people have received relief without surgery. I was starting to think I should not be a girl about it. Glad I can still be a girl AND get relief.

HappyFeet
posted May-02-2007 11:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for HappyFeet     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I had two alcohol injections done today. I can't remember the exact solution percentages but my doctor said they are virtually risk free and after having several rounds could provide complete relief. I go back in two weeks to see where we go from here. I am having a bit of pain in my foot tonight (more than usual) that I hope is gone by tomorrow!

I would love to hear from others who have experience with alcohol injections.

gertie4
Cool Runner
posted May-03-2007 12:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for gertie4   Click Here to Email gertie4     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I had alcohol injections for a neuroma 2 years ago. The pain subsided almost completely after 2 injections, and after 4 injections I was literally pain free. This was after having foot pain for several months, 2 cortisone shots, PT, orthotics, and taking lots of time off running. I wish I had done the injections earlier.

I've been pain free ever since.

HappyFeet
posted May-17-2007 09:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for HappyFeet     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm back again after my second round of injections! The pain since my first injection has been about the same, which my doctor said is normal. He said it really takes at least three rounds before you see any relief. I am looking forward to round three in two weeks!

Last time I had a HUGE bruise on the top of my foot the next day but this time you can hardly see the spots where the needle went in. The doctor said he may have hit a vein last time. I had a good deal of pain that evening also but this go round I haven't really had much, maybe just some tenderness. So far so good!

From what research I have done this procedure is called sclerosis of the nerve and the alcohol solution is 4%. It destroys the contents of the peripheral nerve. There's more to it than that but I'm not able to translate into everyday terms...plus I don't really understand how it works! I just hope it does!!

mlarson1283
Cool Runner
posted May-21-2007 08:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mlarson1283     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I am struggling with Morton's too, it makes me SO FRUSTRATED! I am waiting for my custom orthotics to come in, and got a cortisone shot last week. I think the cortisone is helping a bit, too soon to tell for sure. If those two things don't work I'm going to go the alcohol injection route too. Those of you that have had those injections- did insurance cover them?

motherof4
Cool Runner
posted May-22-2007 03:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for motherof4     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I know all of you are trying to avoid surgery, but if it does come to that.....I say don't be afaird. It was well worth it for me and I wish I did it sooner.

I went to aorthopedist who only does feet and ankels and he did and great job. I was running, skiing, tennis, spinning...everything in 6-8 weeks.

My only advice is to make sure you get this resolved quickly as I ended up with a stress fracture from over compensating with my other leg.

I ran with the neuroma for 6 months and pushed through pain. My pain would start at mile 2 and continue to where my foot went numb after 14 miles, this allowed my to continue my marathon training.

I wish I hadn't waited so long after I realized the cortizone shots didn't work.

Good Luck!

ShelleyM
Cool Runner
posted May-23-2007 05:31 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ShelleyM   Click Here to Email ShelleyM     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Can I ask what type of regular shoes do you wear throughout the day with a neuroma? I have been suffering (not completely sure this is what I have.) I have been wearing flat sandals, and it seems to feel better when my shoes are completely flat. If I wear a heel, my toe swells.

cat4917
Cool Runner
posted May-24-2007 05:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for cat4917     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Wide in the forefoot - or with some give in the sides like woven sandals - and flat or with a slight heel, are best for me. Wear what is comfortable. Sometimes too much cushion doesn't feel very good.

HappyFeet
posted May-28-2007 09:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for HappyFeet     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I've been wearing comfy flip flops or either wide tennis shoes when I have to wear shoes. Sometimes my tennis shoes do seem to aggrivate the pain.

mlarson1283...yes, my insurance does cover the alcohol injections. I have Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

I go tomorrow for my third alcohol injection and am very excited to start seeing some results. The pain has already begun to slightly decrease.

I have a question...where do you feel the pain from your neuroma? My doctor was surprised that I am feeling most of the pain right on the top of my foot, across the widest part. I think he expects it to be on the bottom. When he manipulates my foot I do get an uncomfortable feeling underneath my toes but the pain is definitely on the TOP of my foot. Anyone else?

mlarson1283
Cool Runner
posted May-30-2007 09:21 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for mlarson1283     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My pain is a burning tingling that begins under my toes when I am walking or jogging, sometimes it gets bad enough I have to stop immediately & take off my shoe to rub it. I do have pain on the top when it is pushed in a certain way.

For shoes around the house, you can't beat birkenstocks, they are practically like orthotics.

tymom
Cool Runner
posted May-30-2007 04:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for tymom     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
SO GLAD to see this thread! I am certain I have the same thing. I have not been to a doc yet however. Just the great google.

Funny thing however, I can barely feel mine when running even though I am sure that that is what brought it on. My shoes are great... its the rest of the shoes I need to change!

ShelleyM
Cool Runner
posted May-31-2007 05:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ShelleyM   Click Here to Email ShelleyM     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I had the pod appt today. I do have a neuroma, plus the beginnings of a bunion on the big toe. He shot it with a combo of cortisone and alcohol. I saw stars, it hurt so much. Now I go to PT for a month, with another injection in about 2 weeks. No running until everything is healed and wear only sneakers also. Ugh!

Does anyone know if it okay to bike with a neuroma?

HappyFeet
posted May-31-2007 08:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for HappyFeet     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Shelley, I would say yes but if your doctor said no running then probably not. My doctor told me no restrictions on any activity. You might want to give your doc a call. Also, I'm surprised your shots hurt so much. Did they not numb your foot first?

I think I'm having alcohol injection SUCCESS!!! After my third shot on Tuesday I hit the treadmill today and for the first time in months I had no pain. That was such a welcome relief. I'm still having some pain when I turn my foot certain ways when walking but not on the treadmill! : )

ShelleyM
Cool Runner
posted Jun-03-2007 09:55 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ShelleyM   Click Here to Email ShelleyM     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Happy-They did use lidocaine, but since it was injected right into the nerve, it hurt that much. He says the next one shouldn't be so painful. BTW, I shouldn't have biked today. I took a face first fall and now have a gash on my nose and everything hurts except my foot!! PT tomorrow, so I will ask if the biking is okay.

TedAndresen
Cool Runner
posted Jun-04-2007 12:58 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for TedAndresen   Click Here to Email TedAndresen     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I guess I have been lucky. I have been able to control my Morton’s Neuroma by doing the following:

I avoid walking on hard surfaces with my bare feet. I always wear slippers or soft in-house shoes.

I cut a 1” hole in the insole of my shoe just under the end of the metatarsal where the neuroma is located so the neuroma is unsupported.

I started the laces on my shoes at the third eyelet up from the bottom so that the toe-box is very loose.

I also shopped for shoes that had netting around the sides of the toe box with no leather so that the toe box was basically open.

Hope this helps,

Ted

ruggermel
posted Jun-10-2007 12:09 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ruggermel     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
So I've had this for about 6 years and just learning what is it is since I've now hit the 2-mile mark where the numbness and pain start versus the 6-mile I could comfortably count on previously.
I did just visit the pod dr. who suggests cort shots, fine.
But my real question is are there any open-toed running shoes out there that would be an option as well? Does anyone know?
ruggermel@aol.com

SBDon
posted Jun-11-2007 11:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for SBDon     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I can't believe I found this thread. I've been SUFFERING with this darn Morton's for almost 2 years. It's now so bad I can barely walk. Had 2 cortesone shots, no success so far, BUT i think the doc shot between the wrong toes. What a mess this is.

Thanks all for their posts.

ShelleyM
Cool Runner
posted Jun-12-2007 04:58 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ShelleyM   Click Here to Email ShelleyM     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
SBDon-Maybe you should get a 2nd opinion and possibly PT. Have you had an MRI? I have been going to PT for the past 2 weeks and although I don't know if it's been helping (since I also had a shot beforehand) it sure makes my foot feel good for awhile. I may be getting another shot this coming Monday.

HappyFeet
posted Jun-12-2007 03:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for HappyFeet     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShelleyM:
SBDon-Maybe you should get a 2nd opinion and possibly PT. Have you had an MRI? I have been going to PT for the past 2 weeks and although I don't know if it's been helping (since I also had a shot beforehand) it sure makes my foot feel good for awhile. I may be getting another shot this coming Monday.

I have to agree wholeheartedly. These are your feet we're talking about, you don't want to take any chances with a doctor you don't feel confident with.

Shelley, how are you feeling since your accident? And what did your PT say about biking?

I had my fourth alcohol injection today and am seeing a steady improvement. My doctor asked me if I was still having pain when I pushed my gas pedal and I'm not...that is such a relief! I'm guessing I will still have to have a few more injections but they do seem to be working.

ShelleyM
Cool Runner
posted Jun-13-2007 05:53 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ShelleyM   Click Here to Email ShelleyM     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Happy-Thanks for asking. My nose is still a bit sore, but other than that, I've been back on the bike. I didn't ask the therapist about biking. I see the pod on. Monday hopefully for another injection. I really think the PT isn't helping much, only the shot. It stops hurting for the remainder of the day after PT, but then the next morning, I can feel it again when I walk. More PT this afternoon, I'll see if it helps. If it doesn't I'm going to ask the pod on Monday if maybe I should stop going. I think it's a waste of $$.

maryt
Cool Runner
posted Jun-13-2007 06:10 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for maryt     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Mr T had good luck with ethanol injections. You might want to try a doctor who has experience with those. It doesn't require the long time off that surgery does. Cortisone is great short term, but it doesn't destroy the neuroma like the ethanol injections or surgery.

skullengine
Cool Runner
posted Jun-15-2007 12:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for skullengine     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Ugh, today is my first day back after neuroma surgery (not Morton's, mine was between the second and third toes) but I'm having the beginning of Morton's on my other foot.

For mine, I just wear super-cushy flip flops from Wal-mart ($7) when at home, I run using a cushioned stability shoe with cushy orthotics, and after a run I try to stay off my feet for an hour. I also tape together my second and third toes on both feet for running and that works surprisingly well.

SOMEBODY MAY WANT YOU TO SHORTEN MEDITARSALS IN ADDITION TO REMOVING THE NEUROMA. I had this done, and it was very painful and I'm not sure it was worth it. It kept me off my feet for several months.

Good luck.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 15 pages:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: