Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: NoRacer

Bursitis - Pes Anserine

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Bursitis - Pes Anserine
rootsrunner
Cool Runner
posted Jan-03-2007 09:10 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rootsrunner   Click Here to Email rootsrunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Just wondering if anyone has had this type of bursitis. I experienced knee pain after waking up from sleep. After an exam and x-rays from a sports med doc, he diagnosed Pes Anserine bursitis with a prescription for PT.

Its a result of increasing milage too quickly (overuse) and a lack of stretching.

Anyone else have this injury? Looking for insight.

[This message has been edited by rootsrunner (edited Jan-03-2007).]

IP: Logged

starlord
posted Jan-03-2007 10:34 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for starlord   Click Here to Email starlord     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Here is a link that contains info.

I have not experienced this one but I've had other knee pain. Treatment looks about the same.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=205&topcategory=Knee

jellie
Cool Runner
posted Jan-04-2007 08:41 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for jellie   Click Here to Email jellie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
yes I have this !!! I have had it for over 6 months now. I went to ortho sport doctor and he just sent me to a PT. The strecthing and PT exercises seemed to just keep it inflamed. I still have it. I think mine maybe caused by a tendon or ligament on the inside knee. I would like to see a doctor that deals only with tendons or musles. I don't know what kind of doctor that would be. Not a surgen though.
The bursia keeps me from running, how about you? What are you doing for it? I'm also getting massage 1xweek it seems to help.

jellie
Cool Runner
posted Jan-04-2007 08:46 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for jellie   Click Here to Email jellie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Starlord-- this seems to be the same bursia. How long have you had this and how are you doing?

rootsrunner
Cool Runner
posted Jan-04-2007 10:25 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rootsrunner   Click Here to Email rootsrunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jellie:
yes I have this !!! I have had it for over 6 months now. I went to ortho sport doctor and he just sent me to a PT. The strecthing and PT exercises seemed to just keep it inflamed. I still have it. I think mine maybe caused by a tendon or ligament on the inside knee. I would like to see a doctor that deals only with tendons or musles. I don't know what kind of doctor that would be. Not a surgen though.
The bursia keeps me from running, how about you? What are you doing for it? I'm also getting massage 1xweek it seems to help.

jellie, I'm interested in the types of stretches the PT recommended to you. This bursitis lingering with you...makes me concerned for me.

I'm only 1.5 weeks into this now. Took 1 week off from running, started stretching the hamstrings alot, and ran twice: 60 minutes each on Jan 1st and 2nd.

Thanks for chiming in. More info come follow, as I progress through this.

crunningman
Cool Runner
posted Jan-07-2007 12:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for crunningman   Click Here to Email crunningman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Sorry to hear about this "lt".

I to am having an issue with my back again. Not sure what to think yet as it is in the same area as my Sacral fracture. I sure hope not. If I have to take time off and crosstrain I will, but I will see how things go.

Good luck! CR

rootsrunner
Cool Runner
posted Jan-15-2007 04:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rootsrunner   Click Here to Email rootsrunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Craig, thanks for the support.

Bursitis update:

* 12/27 - doctor prescribed this bursitis and PT
* Jan 1, 2, 4 - tried running on it. Became irritated again on the 4th.
* Jan 12 - visited PT, who presribed some stretches and suggested I try to run.

Most of the stretches were hamstring, glutes, and quads. This is odd to me to stretch the glutes because the pain is below the knee.

Yesterday, 1/14, went for 30 minute run. While I do not think I am 100%, I did not feel the bursitis and felt like I could continue past 30 minutes.

All in all, I've now had some significant time off: Only run 3 times since 12/25 (3 times in 18 days.) Hoping this will do the trick. I have not had any time off from running in 4 years.

I will try a few more 30 minute runs this week before progressing. It really suks because I was just getting warmed up at 30 minutes.

mwquick
posted Jan-18-2007 01:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mwquick     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I had this diagnosed by my doc I rested 10 days and I also bought some "arnica montana" gel and rubbed it on. It is made from the wolfsbane or leopardsbane plant (can't remember) and is supposed to help bursitis. I don't know if it was the rest or the arnica, but it worked. I still use the arnica (got it at gnc) and seem to feel it working when I put it on . Can't hurt to try.

crunningman
Cool Runner
posted Jan-18-2007 07:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for crunningman   Click Here to Email crunningman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Glad to hear that Lloyd!

Take it slow coming back and you'll be back in fine form. I wish you the best for sure.

If all goes well are you still considering Glass City?
Take care. Craig

RunTWM
Cool Runner
posted Jan-24-2007 08:52 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for RunTWM   Click Here to Email RunTWM     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
It might also be running mechanics. Find someone who can diagnose this for you. I didn't need orthotics but got some inserts for my shoes that corrected my "knee wobble" as well as stretches for the tendon.
Obviously ice is great, too.

jansd
Cool Runner
posted Jan-25-2007 05:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jansd     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Most of the stretches were hamstring, glutes, and quads. This is odd to me to stretch the glutes because the pain is below the knee.

It's not odd if you consider all the muscles the pes anserinus tendon attaches to and where they connect at the other end. A minor strain in one of these muscles can lead to irritation of the pes anserinus tendon where it attaches at the tibia. This in turn can lead to irritation of the bursa.

In addition to gentle stretching, you could do some exercises to strengthen the quads, in particular the vastus medialis (the quad that starts above the medial knee).

(edited to fix tag)

[This message has been edited by jansd (edited Jan-25-2007).]

jellie
Cool Runner
posted Jan-26-2007 09:45 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for jellie   Click Here to Email jellie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
update on my Pes Anserine bursitis

After folowing a link from someone here I noticed that this can mimic a fracture. My legs seemed to have alot of trigger points so I tried mayophysical (Sorry for the spelling). It helped but ITBS pain would return and no relief for the bursa.
I also had a pain inside of knee. I thought that was torn. A tendon inside on back of knee that I thought was possible sciatic nerve problem (it was very painful). Boy have I been chasing my tail !!!!

I went for ART massage 2 days ago. The therapist worked from ankle (ankle surgery Oct.) up to top of thigh. Very painful but I can't wait to go again. She also rubbed the bursa and that painful tendon. I feel as though I can run again....the bursa has really gone down!!! I'm not saying this is for everyone with a bursa. I think my bursa stems from tight calfs and tight, tight ankle. But it seems to be working for me. The therapist told me to start strengthing!!! Everything everyone here has said. And I also have started with the arnica. It really seems to help.

Best of luck to you I know that it can get frustrating.

elderjm
posted Jan-26-2007 11:14 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for elderjm   Click Here to Email elderjm     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
If it's an "overuse" issue, why isn't the other knee hurting? Aren't they both doing the same work?

This isn't anything to worry about. It's a postural imbalance--one side is working harder than the other. Once you restore balance to the body your pain will be gone. There's a great book you need to get--"Pain Free," by Pete Egoscue. Look into it.

MMS1952
posted Jan-31-2007 02:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MMS1952     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I was diagnosed with this after two weeks of misery following a return to running for only two weeks. Doc said too much too soon as expected . He suggested no incline since I was running on the treadmill with a slight incline, and walking with significant incline to achieve heart rate.

Since I could barely walk, I took the cortisone shot and it worked well within three days. Went to PT for two more weeks for hammy, quad, and groin stretching. Always been very inflexible so not sure how much this helped.

Everything I read said most common among middle aged women which I am

Haven't tried running again (four more weeks), but am walking pain free and rowing causes no pain.

I will go back to the full motion control shoes I used to wear, too.

MilesTompkins
posted Mar-19-2007 01:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MilesTompkins     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

I would suggest you do a couple of things. One, make sure that your footwear has good heel control. Another is to avoid a lot of downhill running. I've also seen people that do a lot of treadmill running suffer from this .....I tell them to run flat and make sure the treadmill has a double ply surface and there is no slippage. The last thing you need is a lot of co contraction when you are running.
Pes anserinus bursitis shouldgo away in a couple of days if you solve the biomechanics or your training route.
If it persists , make sure your plica is OK

Good luck

flajewels
Cool Runner
posted Mar-22-2007 08:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for flajewels     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Just got diagnosed with bursitis myself. Stinks....have only run a couple of times in about 4 weeks. Constantly aches, nothing excruciating by no means, just a constant ache on the inner side of the knee. Mine came on by running on some sloppy terrain (never run on terrain where the grass is a foot high and you can't see what is underneath...stupid, stupid, stupid). After I run, the inner part of my knee feels like it is going to explode. I strength train, do pilates and cross train so...even if you feel like your doing all the right things, sometimes things just happen. I can't wait to get back at it.

rootsrunner...hope all is going well. Mine also is the worst when waking up in the a.m.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: