Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: NoRacer

top of my foot hurts

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   top of my foot hurts
joeyverville
Cool Runner
posted Dec-31-2006 01:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for joeyverville   Click Here to Email joeyverville     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have had PF but have been improving lately. I now have pain on the top of my foot while my heel and sole continue to feel better (no pain). I'm feeling that the tops of my toes and the top of the arch are slightly swollen. Does anyone know if there is a connection to the PF "rolling" around to the top of my foot? Weird. I'm so sick of my foot problems. I have run twice this week but am faithful about icing, anti-inflams, streching, etc. Any advice?
Thanks,
Joey

IP: Logged

runbondrun
Cool Runner
posted Jan-02-2007 05:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for runbondrun   Click Here to Email runbondrun     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have no clue about PF, so this might not be of any help to you, but I did experience some pain on the top of my foot. It was very tender to the touch. I wasn't sure of the cause until someone questioned how tight my shoes were. I had bought new socks and my shoes were tied too tight. They didn't feel tight when I put them on, but I guess as my feet swelled during running it was putting pressure on the top of my feet. I loosened my laces and I haven't had the pain since!

Hope this helps!
Jessica

ConfettiGirl
Cool Runner
posted Jan-02-2007 06:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ConfettiGirl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I don't know anything about PF either, but does this sound anything like what you're esperiencing? If so, it's a pretty common injury among runners, and happily, usually not the end of the world!

As Jessica mentioned, the solution could be something as simple as loosening your shoelaces. I wear mine so loose that I can slip my foot right in and out of my shoes. You also might want to change the way you lace your shoes to one of the lacing techniques shown on this site. (Even though there's a top of foot pain method on that site, I use the high arches method -- was using it successfully before I learned about that site, and I have no intention of fixing something that's not broken! )

In the near-term, take a few days off till the swelling goes down. Ibuprophen will also help during the period, as will icing the tops of your feet. I'd also recommend continuing to ice the tops of your feet post-run till you're sure you're out of the woods!

Best of luck to you!

joeyverville
Cool Runner
posted Jan-08-2007 12:43 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for joeyverville   Click Here to Email joeyverville     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
thanks. since I posted, I had an appointment with my podiatrist. He thinks since I've had the PF, I've been walking more toward the side of my foot to avoid the heel pain. I don't think that is all of the story. My foot makes a cracking noise inconsistently when I walk and the swelling is getting worse. I continue to ice and take Naproxen, stretching, etc. I haven't run since the day before my appointment (last run on Jan 2) and lacing is probably not it. I will pay attention to that, tho' when I can get back to it. I'm so miserable not being able to run. Thanks for your suggestions.
Joey

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: