Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: NoRacer

Returning after stress fracture: How should it feel?

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Returning after stress fracture: How should it feel?
ckb3179
Cool Runner
posted Dec-05-2006 09:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ckb3179     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Back in late September I got a fibula stress fracture during the peak of training for the NYC marathon, which of course I had to cancel. After 8 weeks of no running (lots of time on stationary bike to maintain some cardio fitness), I've started to ease back in with very low mileage (1-2 milers, every other day). It feels fine at the sfx site itself. No localized pain or tenderness at the sfx site like I had experienced before, so I'm guessing the fracture itself is healed. I do, however, I have a very dull, achey type of pain in that whole general area. It starts usually around a quarter mile into the run and remains for the rest of the run. No post-run pain. It's not the kind of pain that makes you want to stop running, but it's enough of a dull ache to make you notice that it's not 100% normal. So my question is this: Is it normal to have this kind of mild, dull pain after a sfx heals, or is it a situation where I should stop running completely until it feels 100% normal again? This is my first (and hopefully last) stress fracture, so I'm not sure how it's "supposed" to feel when you first start back running again.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Chris

IP: Logged

redberry
posted Dec-06-2006 01:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for redberry     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm finding the same thing to be true, coming back from my 5th stress fx (femur). Although the bone itself seems to be fine, and strong enough after 6 months of taking it easy, now when I run, I do still have a generally weak and fatigued feeling in my whole leg. Not enough to make me stop, but definitely noticeable. I think the muscles just aren't used to the activity, and yes, I do think there is some residual achiness in the bone which will ease with time. As long as I can walk without too much pain afterwards, I will continue to run easy on it- no speed work, limited mileage, no two days in a row running, and icing and aleve as needed after. Eventually, I have noticed with my previous fxs, that one day the pain will simply be gone, and you'll pretty much be back to normal, but I always monitor... just in case. good luck!

merigayle
Cool Runner
posted Dec-07-2006 06:58 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for merigayle   Click Here to Email merigayle     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I had a stress fx in 2000 in my foot and for a few years afterwards it would be dull and achy, especially in cold and damp weather. Now, almost 7 years later (wow, can't believe it has been that long) every once in a while it aches.

i was told that the fracture site heals stronger than it was before, but if you get one, you are prone to getting another.

PerfesserR
Cool Runner
posted Dec-07-2006 08:46 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for PerfesserR     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ckb3179:

... I've started to ease back in with very low mileage (1-2 milers, every other day). It feels fine at the sfx site itself. No localized pain or tenderness at the sfx site like I had experienced before, so I'm guessing the fracture itself is healed. I do, however, I have a very dull, achey type of pain in that whole general area. It starts usually around a quarter mile into the run and remains for the rest of the run. No post-run pain. It's not the kind of pain that makes you want to stop running, but it's enough of a dull ache to make you notice that it's not 100% normal. So my question is this: Is it normal to have this kind of mild, dull pain after a sfx heals, or is it a situation where I should stop running completely until it feels 100% normal again?
...Chris

That is normal. I had my sfx a year ago and I'm up to 50k's with no problems so obviously it's healed, but I do get occasional mild aches in the shin. As long as it's not getting worse as you increase your distance it should be OK.

ckb3179
Cool Runner
posted Dec-07-2006 08:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ckb3179     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks for the comments. Glad to hear that this is normal and that I'm not doing more damage by running with this mild pain. I've been doing two easy miles every other day for the past week and will try to build to 2 1/2 or 3 next week. The pain didn't get any worse when I increased from 1 to 2 miles, but still I'm going to increase slowly and not run consecutive days for awhile.

jansd
Cool Runner
posted Dec-07-2006 09:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jansd     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/stressfracture.shtml

everything you need to know

KC1125
posted Dec-12-2006 05:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for KC1125     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Last year I incurred a stress fracture after running a marathon with shin splints. I took 6 weeks off and when I returned I didn't feel pain where the fracture was, but for some reason my shins would feel tight after a mile into my run. I stopped and stretched and they'd generally feel better. They felt that way for about a month after returning to running (took me about another month to get fit again), and I've never felt it again. While it wasn't painful, my shins were definitely tight - kind of a dull tightness.

Congrats on your recovery.

ckb3179
Cool Runner
posted Dec-17-2006 06:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ckb3179     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks again for all of your advice. Jansd - That article was was very helpful. I've been running 3x per week, gradually increasing mileage. I'm now up to 4.5 miles per run, and yet the dull pain is decreasing. I'm confident now that if I continue to build mileage gradually I'll be fine training for my spring marathon. The hardest part now is not overdoing it and not trying to increase mileage too fast. Considering my previous mileage of 40-45 mpw, it feels weird doing such short runs, but I know building up too fast can result in re-injury.

Your responses have been a great help. Thanks!

Chris

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: