Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: NoRacer

Training and racing after a broken ankle...

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Training and racing after a broken ankle...
Rodgers209
posted Nov-21-2006 08:41 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rodgers209   Click Here to Email Rodgers209     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I sustained a badly broken ankle two years ago. After going the route with the cast, crutches and rehab, I am finally able to run a mile a day. The only pain I feel is when I walk after long periods of time sitting because of stiffness.
I was wondering if anyone has come back from a broken ankle to train and race again. I feel like it's going to take FOREVER!!!
Thanks in advance!

IP: Logged

tdc
Cool Runner
posted Nov-21-2006 10:37 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for tdc   Click Here to Email tdc     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I broke mine 3 years ago in January. 3 places, pins plates then hole nine yards. I have been running now for about a year and a half. It does take time and mine will really tighten up after long runs. My advice is to take it slow. I started running on the treadmill until I felt like the ankle joints and tendons were strong enough to run outside. After long runs 20+ miles I will run the next week inside just to give it more of a chance to rest. When I got started running I used that C25K program and it really got me into the swing of things. I will run my first Marathon in December. Hang in there and good luck... Oh yea how did you break it?

Rodgers209
posted Nov-21-2006 01:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rodgers209   Click Here to Email Rodgers209     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I broke it in a car accident...STUPID!!!! It sounds as though you did a REAL good job on your ankle with the pins and all. Thank you for the advice. The doctor said the pain I have now is from a lack of a range of motion and flexibility. I've been doing a lot of stretching.
Good luck in the marathon!

jellie
Cool Runner
posted Nov-29-2006 09:07 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for jellie   Click Here to Email jellie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I broke my ankle 2 years ago.(didn't wear cast) I walked and starting running last year. Injury after injury I returned to the Doctor. There was a fragment floating in the soft tissue of the joint. When I decided to have surgery the Doctor found another fragment behind the ankle bone. The fragments were the sizes of dimes. Neither the Doc or I ever thought there were 2 fragments it didn't show up on the MRI. And I was only in discomfort not pain.

Anyway 5 weeks out from the surgery and my ankle is weak. And I have knee pain from a weak ankle. (visous circle). I have gotten a trainer/coach runner. She thinks it may take 6 months to strengthen. I could maybe run on it but if I hit a hole it would set me back.
I am also working core and hips.

If I were you I would go slow and make sure that it is very strong. Muscles and tendions really need to be strong around the bone.
Hope these ideas help and good luck.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: