Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: NoRacer

Foam Roller? The Stick?

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Foam Roller? The Stick?
FatHappyRunner
Cool Runner
posted Sep-13-2006 06:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for FatHappyRunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I've seen folks on here talking about the "foam roller" and how it helped them get rid of some aches/pains. I'm having some hip problems (ITB, piriformis, hip flexor, ???) and was wondering if this might help me out. Or, should I look for something like "The Stick"?

I get regular massages, stretch consistently, take the vitamins, and generally do all the things you would expect. This is the first time I've ever had the hip "soreness", but I have been building up my mileage (slowly - 10-15%/wk) for MCM in late October.

Any suggestions, comments, thoughts, or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated?

FHR

IP: Logged

briangiesen
posted Sep-13-2006 07:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for briangiesen     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have both. I use the foam roller mostly for my IT band and hamstrings, and use the Stick for my quads and calfs. I've been battling ITBS since April so I was willing to try (buy) anything that would help loosen my muscles up. If I had to keep one I would keep the foam roller.

[This message has been edited by briangiesen (edited Sep-13-2006).]

fancyshorts
Cool Runner
posted Sep-13-2006 08:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for fancyshorts   Click Here to Email fancyshorts     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I agree with the above post. i used the roller to eliminate my ITBS, though be careful b/c it loosened up the outside of my leg, and as an oversight i did not equally strech out the compensitory inside muscle (abductor i think...).

anyway, much deeper "massage" of the IT band from the foam roller, b/c you can put your entire weight onto it. since ITBS is not muscular you really are looking for a deep pressure to massage out the lactic acid. the stick is great AFTER the injury is away for basic maintenence. the foam roller is pretty cheap, personally i would try both and see what works best for you.

i do swear by my foam roller, but use it ONLY when i feel an injury coming on, otherwise i stick to the stick!

Best of luck!!!

fancyshorts
Cool Runner
posted Sep-13-2006 08:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for fancyshorts   Click Here to Email fancyshorts     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
hmmm...is abductor on the inside or outside? i think i meant my adductor muscle...i apologize for that!!! Feel better!

merigayle
Cool Runner
posted Sep-14-2006 06:13 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for merigayle   Click Here to Email merigayle     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Foam rollers rock! Got mine for $8 at www.zombierunner.com

I use it EVERYWHERE! On my ITB, calfs, hamstrings, butt, etc! I use it 100 times more often than the stick.

FatHappyRunner
Cool Runner
posted Sep-14-2006 08:07 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for FatHappyRunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks for all the comments guys.

Merigayle, thanks for that website also. I'm going to pick up the Foam Roller and see if that helps me.

FHR

merigayle
Cool Runner
posted Sep-14-2006 08:26 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for merigayle   Click Here to Email merigayle     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Seriously, for $8 you cannot go wrong. I think it is some of the best money ever spent! You will find ways to get creative using it too. It takes a little bit of time, but enjoy it. I also buy a lot from that website, really great people.

FatHappyRunner
Cool Runner
posted Sep-14-2006 08:30 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for FatHappyRunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I already bought it (along with a few other things).

I was ALL IN for $8 on the Foam Roller. I will probably pick up The Stick at the next Expo. There's always a guy there hawking it.

Thx

FHR.

skypenny
Cool Runner
posted Sep-14-2006 08:53 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for skypenny     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Eight dollars ! I got snookered ! I paid (embarassed to tell you) $ 29.99 for my foam roller at a running store (although this did include a 'how to use your foam roller " DVD). But... I was despaerate and would have paid a million because I developed bad ITB in the middle of my marathon training (10/29 race) and the combination of cutting back miles for a week and using the roller has enabled me to keep the ITB at bay. I use it every day. I love it. And it is great for your back too . What is this "stick" you are referring to?

rolling1977
posted Sep-14-2006 09:05 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rolling1977   Click Here to Email rolling1977     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I was at the gadget store and picked up a rolling pin (for baking) for $3 and have been using that. I don't have IT band issues, but I like the type of massage it gives. The foam roller sounds like something I'd like to try. I wonder if the hard smooth rolling pin I use is not a good idea?

FatHappyRunner
Cool Runner
posted Sep-14-2006 10:22 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for FatHappyRunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skypenny:
Eight dollars ! I got snookered ! I paid (embarassed to tell you) $ 29.99 for my foam roller at a running store (although this did include a 'how to use your foam roller " DVD). But... I was despaerate and would have paid a million because I developed bad ITB in the middle of my marathon training (10/29 race) and the combination of cutting back miles for a week and using the roller has enabled me to keep the ITB at bay. I use it every day. I love it. And it is great for your back too . What is this "stick" you are referring to?

Here's the stick:

http://www.zombierunner.com/store/product12.html

FYI: you got have gotten the "how to use your foam roller" on the Internet. Lots of places with that info. I can't wait to get the Foam Roller I just bought and give it a shot.

FHR.

FatHappyRunner
Cool Runner
posted Sep-14-2006 10:27 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for FatHappyRunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rolling1977:
I was at the gadget store and picked up a rolling pin (for baking) for $3 and have been using that. I don't have IT band issues, but I like the type of massage it gives. The foam roller sounds like something I'd like to try. I wonder if the hard smooth rolling pin I use is not a good idea?

I THINK the rolling pin kinda mimics the Stick in some regards. In any case, I've heard others say they use the rolling pin b/c of the cost savings. If it works for you, keep on keeping on.

FHR

chele519
Cool Runner
posted Sep-17-2006 03:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for chele519     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I was using the rolling pin for my calves but just bought the Stick yesterday afternoon. The rolling pin does not compare. Maybe because the Stick has the little individual pieces that move instead of just one but my calf pain was gone today after the rolling pin did not do much.

I've used the foam roller for my ITB until a massage therapist used a trigger point wheel on it. It really gets into the area and breaks up the scar tissue. Hurts like hell at first but you can concentrate on one little spot.

http://www.bannertherapy.com/ProductInfo.aspx?trigger-wheel&number=95-566

merigayle
Cool Runner
posted Sep-18-2006 06:06 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for merigayle   Click Here to Email merigayle     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
thanks Chele! Another toy I will have to add to my collection!

chele519
Cool Runner
posted Sep-18-2006 11:35 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for chele519     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Merigayle, if you decide to get it, let me know how you like it.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: