Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: NoRacer

Sore Ball of Foot

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Sore Ball of Foot
Elaine3112
Cool Runner
posted Sep-05-2006 08:07 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Elaine3112   Click Here to Email Elaine3112     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
There is a term for this injury but I canít spell it or find it! Last Thursday I did a 6 mile steady in my Mizunoís that have 98 miles on them. Nice evening, not too hot and feet felt quite comfortable. Next morning my right ball of foot is really sore and painful to weight bare. Itís been on and off like this since last Thursday although not quite so painful as before. What have I done? The only real difference I noticed on this run was I really got up on my toes to get over a couple of hump backed bridges. I donít remember stepping on anything that could have bruised my foot. Iíve noticed that when I walk or run itís sore at first and then eases. Itís either that or Iím getting used to the pain threshold! Anybody have any ideas?

IP: Logged

TIMe2run11
Cool Runner
posted Sep-05-2006 07:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TIMe2run11     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have the same problem today. I ran 4 miles last night, after a couple of weeks off and experienced the same pain all day. I am also noticing that when I pull my two middle toes back I can feel the pain as well. Any ideas?

TIMe2run11
Cool Runner
posted Sep-07-2006 04:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TIMe2run11     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Anyone have any experience with this?

dcjohnston
Cool Runner
posted Sep-07-2006 08:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for dcjohnston     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Could be wrong but Mizunos are a pretty firm forefoot shoe. If you are running sub 10 minute miles you are putting a lot of forefoot plants in these shoes.

I had to take a pair back for a similar issue. Mine were the Nirvanas.

Dave

Hairy Trotter
Cool Runner
posted Sep-07-2006 08:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Hairy Trotter     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Does it feel like a bruise on the ball of the foot? Could be metatarsalgia.

http://www.spinalhealth.net/inj-foot.html

I had a bout of this come on suddenly after a bit of hard downhill running on tired legs. A temporary switch to a shoe with a more cushioned forefoot helped.

TIMe2run11
Cool Runner
posted Sep-07-2006 10:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TIMe2run11     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hairy Trotter:

http://www.spinalhealth.net/inj-foot.html

I had a bout of this come on suddenly after a bit of hard downhill running on tired legs. A temporary switch to a shoe with a more cushioned forefoot helped.

Describes mine perfectly, thanks.

Elaine3112
Cool Runner
posted Sep-08-2006 11:34 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Elaine3112   Click Here to Email Elaine3112     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hairy Trotter:

Yes Hairy Trotter, it does read very much like metatarsalgia. It's a lot easier now but interesting point about the Mizuno's. I run in Waverider 9's. Will look into my shoes in more detail if the problem reoccurs. Thanks

MarleneD
Cool Runner
posted Sep-10-2006 10:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MarleneD   Click Here to Email MarleneD     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I had what sounds like the same kind of pain in the pad of my foot and almost in line with the middle toe and a bit towards the smallest toe. I'd read a few things and thought maybe it was a bursa inflamation which causes pain on the pad at the 3 smallest toes. Anyway, the "remedy" was to use a metatarsal pad... which I never found.

SOoooo, after dealing with this nagging pad pain for about 6 weeks one day I really massaged the foot and bent my toes in toward the bottom of my foot and held it for a bit and I swear if that didn't just clear it up. That was over a week ago and I haven't had any pain or discomfort since and I certainly have'nt let up on the miles or terrain. So maybe it just needed a good stretching? Go figure.

Best of luck.

------------------
me
my log
Stretching is GOODē rubberband exercises are GOOD ē Icing is GOOD ē rest is GOOD ē You don't have to run EVERY race; save some for next year! (thoughts from an EX-injured runner)

[This message has been edited by MarleneD (edited Sep-10-2006).]

mupitz
posted Sep-12-2006 09:55 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for mupitz     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have been having this pain in the ball of my foot and toes. This helped SO much, it really sounds like Metatarsalgia. THANK YOU ALL!

dcv2002
Cool Runner
posted Sep-14-2006 09:17 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for dcv2002     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I just got this yesterday also I think. I had just got a new pair of shoes (Asics Gel Kayanos XII) after running in Adidas Supernove Cushion. I am slightly worried as I have a 10k on Saturday to run. I took off today. Anyone think I should make one of those pads to try.

I think my Asics are going back and I'll probably go back to Adidas (either Supernova Cushion or Supernova Support). What's suprising is I guess since the Adidas were neutral shoes and the Asics are support shoes I guess my landing points changed. I got the Asics to help with Achilles problems after long runs, but now I get this ball of foot problem. Argh. Also it was my first run in my Asics (6 miles).

skullengine
Cool Runner
posted Sep-14-2006 05:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for skullengine     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Wow, I had the same problems with my Asics (Kayano and GT-2100s). Wonder if they're related?

My injury acted like meditarsalgia, but now I think it was a neuroma that occurred after I "primed myself for injury" by wearing high heels one day then ran 3 fast, hilly miles. Neuroma is a little nerve that gets inflamed between the toe knuckles in the ball of the foot and stays that way.

I have to now run with my three center toes taped together pretty well, and that manages my problem by providing support to that weird knuckle area. If I don't tape my feet, after about 1 mile the pain comes back and I have to literally hobble back home.

BTW: was checked by a foot doc, who made sure there wasn't a stress fracture. A good bit of insurance!

dcv2002
Cool Runner
posted Sep-14-2006 10:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for dcv2002     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skullengine:
Wow, I had the same problems with my Asics (Kayano and GT-2100s). Wonder if they're related?

My injury acted like meditarsalgia, but now I think it was a neuroma that occurred after I "primed myself for injury" by wearing high heels one day then ran 3 fast, hilly miles. Neuroma is a little nerve that gets inflamed between the toe knuckles in the ball of the foot and stays that way.

I have to now run with my three center toes taped together pretty well, and that manages my problem by providing support to that weird knuckle area. If I don't tape my feet, after about 1 mile the pain comes back and I have to literally hobble back home.

BTW: was checked by a foot doc, who made sure there wasn't a stress fracture. A good bit of insurance!

I think mine is a neuroma also. I took today off and it is feeling better. I got a metatarsal pad and put that in my injured foot and I am not walking around bare foot. I have a race on Sat so we'll see. I am returning the Asics and going back to my Adidas. It feels good now, I have had no pain but it just feels uncomfortable. I might try the tape thing also as a precaution.

skullengine
Cool Runner
posted Sep-15-2006 09:06 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for skullengine     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Here's more info on it:

http://www.podiatrychannel.com/mortonneuroma/

BTW: last night walked a few miles with a tight toeboxed shoe (actually, I had over-cushioned it), and today I woke up with pain. My poor tootsies! I also do have flat feet, but use orthotics.

Anyway, rest and taping today, tomorrow all will be well, Monday I'll be running again. And so it goes.

jorunning
posted Sep-18-2006 12:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jorunning     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I had this same situation back in February. I found that stretching like Marlene suggested does help and I still do that a couple of times a day. However, the thing that cleared the whole issue up for me was bigger shoes! I now run in shoes that are 1.5 to 2 sizes bigger than my regular shoes. Every since I started wearing the bigger size (on the advice of a good running store) I haven't had the pain in my foot. Your foot swells a lot while running and my foot apparently was always getting scrunched up inside the small shoes.

helives
Cool Runner
posted Sep-22-2006 10:21 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for helives     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Your right Joe bigger shoes are the answer a lot of times. With asics shoes I also think that the "gel" heats up somewhat when running and if you not used to them they might burn a little. At least mine did. As far as the small shoes, make sure you are wearing shoes big enough and roomy enough in the towbox, because if not it can really cause major problems down the road.
Rocky

CinCityRunner
Cool Runner
posted Oct-12-2006 09:31 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for CinCityRunner   Click Here to Email CinCityRunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Could also be sesamoiditis, which can / could lead to avascular necrosis of the Sesamoid bone in the ball of your foot.

You may be able to reduce the issue with orthotics to control pronation.

LandCruiser
posted Jun-07-2007 11:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for LandCruiser   Click Here to Email LandCruiser     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have had a really bad case of metatarsalgia, as was diagnosed by a podiatrist and a sports medicine doctor. I ran my last marathon with it, and caused a severe stress reaction (not stress fracture) in the joints of my second and third metatarsals.

When I saw the sports medicine doctor he told me it is likely directly related to the shoes I was wearing. I had switched over to Mizunos Wave Rider 10s about 2 months before this injury surfaced, and it was during my peak mileage buildup for my marathon (and it generally takes several months for this injury to develop). The doctor told me when he looked at my shoes that they didn't have enough cushion in the ball of the foot, that he could easily bend the toe of them back towards the laces, because they have a line built into the sole to allow the foot to flex at that particular point. That line that allows the shoe to flex at that point also causes the joints of the metatarsals to have a greater impact when running, causing this type of injury.

He told me to steer clear of any shoe that has such a line in the sole, or that I could bend backwards very easily.

I'm currently off running until the injury is at least partially healed, and on steroid anti-inflammitories to help reduce the swelling in the joints. Hopefully when I can get out on the road in another week or so I'll be able to avoid this injury again in the future.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: