Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: NoRacer

Hip Arthroscopy & Labral Tear: Please help!

Topic is 13 pages:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Hip Arthroscopy & Labral Tear: Please help!
k1i2m3
posted Nov-16-2007 05:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for k1i2m3     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by runnersk8ter:
Me too!

See my recent reply in another post:

I was diagnosed with a labral tear (two tears, actually) in my left hip (groin) about a year ago. The doctor gave me three options:

1. do nothing
2. cortisone injections
3. arthroscopic surgery

I decided to "do nothing," with the very important exception of strengthening exercises for my hips. The ortho recommended leg lifts targeting the gluteus medius muscles (very slow, 3x30 on each side). It has worked (for me) wonderfully well! If I slack off on my exercises, the pain comes back.

As a bonus, keeping my gluteus medius muscles strong seems to have prevented recurrence of my ITB issues.

Since my diagnosis, I have continued to run 20-25 MPW (same as before the injury) and race every couple of months, distances from 5K to 10 miles.

I've since added swimming to my routine and this does not seem to aggravate my hip in any way.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Susan
=====

I should add that my ortho doc said there was no reason I could not continue to run as much as I wanted. (No doubt he's waiting for me to have more pain so I can come back for the surgery!!)

IP: Logged

h2
Cool Runner
posted Nov-17-2007 09:19 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for h2     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
How can you tell the difference between a labral tear & a pulled groin? I "pulled my groin" 10 weeks ago and have slowly made progress, back to running 30-35 minutes. It hurts less if I'm on the track, more so on the roads and with hills.

My pain moves around, from the back of my leg (under my bum) to the front hip flexor to the side ITB. It's like a ring around my thigh. I can pretty much do everything but run, but if I run roads, it HURTS! It seems to warm up but I always feel pain. When I stop running, it gets really tight and I get sharp pains.

I've been to a sports doc 3x...he said it's a nagging groin. Xrays, but no MRI.

Can anyone tell me some "tell tale" signs of a torn labrum? Do they improve over time & only act up when running?

Thanks...h2

andy199
posted Nov-18-2007 11:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for andy199     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have been diagnosed with a labral tear in my left hip. Pain came on about 2 weeks ago during a run. Had x-rays which also confirmed an impingement. MRI with Arthrogram confirmed the labral tear. I have been doing research on the topic & feel like I have a pretty good understanding. I realize that I need surgery. I have been trying to find out who does a lot of these surgeries. I came across the name of Marc Philippon in Colorado. Just wondering how long it will take to get into see someone like him? Also, was wondering if there is a list of experts at this type of surgery? My local physician groups don't do it - nor do I want them to. Would like to get the surgery from someone who realizes I want to run, bike & swim again - not just be able to go out & get the mail.

Siberifan
posted Nov-20-2007 11:15 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Siberifan     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Here's a list of surgeons who seem to do hip scopes. I got this off of the Yahoo! Group "Hip Scope Community". I don't know how accurate it is but I'm assuming it's relatively accurate...it was compiled by people who have experience with the doctors. (Some docs are definitely missing and beware of the locations- Dr. Philippon is in Colorada, not PA). I would have posted a link but the page is only available to members.

Good luck,
Siberifan

From Hip Scope Community: (Yahoo! Group)

This database does not offer opinions about the doctors listed. The purpose is to give the numbers so members can call and check on the experience of the doctors and decide if they want to use that doctor or not.
Anthony Ricci Turnersville, New Jersey 856-228-6777 856-228-9432
Dr Amir Jamali sacramento, ca
Dr Hal Martin Oklahoma City OK.
Dr. Bielema Grand Rapids MIchigan
Dr. Brian Day Vancouver, BC Canada (800) 558-1338
Dr. Brian McGrath Buffalo New York (716) 859-1531 (716) 859-2541
Dr. Daniel Kuesis Elk Grove Village IL
Dr. David Ruch Winston-Salem NC (336) 716-8200 (336) 716-6286
Dr. Douglas Naudie London, Ontario
Dr. Ira Zaltz Detroit, MI 248-280-8550
Dr. James Glick San Francisco CA (415) 345-9400 (405) 345-8049
Dr. Marc Philippon Pittsburg PA and Ft. Lauderdale FL (800) 533-8762 (412) 647-3555 (412) 624-3184
Dr. Patrick Lynch Jr. Spokane WA (509) 747-3107
Dr. Paul Beaule Ottawa, Ontario
Dr. Sotereanos Pittsburgh, PA
Dr. Stephen Hunt Bedminster, NJ
Dr. Thomas Byrd Nashville, Tennessee 615-284-5800 http://www.nsmoc.com/
Gary G. Poehling Wake Forest Health Sciences 131 Miller Street 336-716-8085 800-828-2001 336-716-8329
James Bruckner Bellevue, WA (425) 454-5344

[This message has been edited by Siberifan (edited Nov-20-2007).]

soccergirl12
posted Nov-20-2007 09:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for soccergirl12   Click Here to Email soccergirl12     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I am not sure about all those doctors on that list that Siberfan listed, but I too am needing surgery and I did recognize two names on the list. Dr. Phillipon and Dr. Byrd. When my doctor first told me about having the surgery, he told me about these two dr.'s as well as one named Dr. Bryan Kelly, who is at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. The three doctors are supposed to be the top three in the US for hip arthroscopy. Dr. Kelly is the doctor I am going to and as far as time frame goes, with him he has you come for a consultation first and I have had to wait 6 weeks for that. It will be on Dec. 7th. The told me surgery will be booked at the consultation and it is usually booked 4 weeks from that date. I live in Florida so I will have to make two trips which isn't ideal, but this is the way they work. I have heard others do it all, consult and surgery all in the same trip, but not Dr. Kelly, but I have also heard he is awesome. I am not sure of the time frames with the other doctors, but I am guessing they are the same, especially Dr. Phillipon...heard he is the best and the most booked by far. I have not heard much of anything on Dr. Byrd.

I hope all this info helps!

Carrie

katieliz816
Cool Runner
posted Nov-21-2007 06:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for katieliz816     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I've been wondering about a pain I have that may be similar. Forgive me for not reading all 13 pages of this post...but would a tear like that cause pain in the part of the leg between the groin and hip, and even a little vertically too? It's worse in the morning or after sitting for a while, if I put all my wieght too hard on that one leg it hurts. But once I get walking or running it seems to hurt less. I'd really like to avoid the doctor but it's been a few days now and hasn't gone away! Thanks

jentheroadrunner
Cool Runner
posted Nov-23-2007 08:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jentheroadrunner   Click Here to Email jentheroadrunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
The reason Phillipon was listed in PA is because that is where he used to be and "grand-fathered" the surgery. He takes a LONG time to get into (you are looking at about 6 months at least) and there are people who have studied under him who are doing the same procedure just as well.

I had mine done by Dr. Leslie Vidal at Rose Medical in Denver, CO. (Her husband also does the surgery in Boulder, they both studied under Phillipon in PA). She was great, and I was cleared to run again 4 months post-op. I am up to running 3 x a week for a total of about 25 minutes (with intervals of walking to give the joint a break from the impact - I am taking it slow) and couldn't be happier with my results. I was swimming a week after surgery (as soon as the incisions healed) with my arms only and followed a strict protocol - still exercising the entire time. It is important to remember each person's injury is unique to him/her, 80% of people get 80% better, it takes a full year to heal 100%, and each doc is going to be a little different. I think the MOST important thing to remember is that you must do EXACTLY what the doc/PT reccommends to get the results you wish for.

JaimieB
Cool Runner
posted Nov-24-2007 02:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JaimieB   Click Here to Email JaimieB     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have a labral tear in my hip and I need to have the procedure done. It can't be scheduled for at least another month. Any recomendations as to work out activities I can do in the mean time???

Julia Child
posted Nov-24-2007 03:43 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Julia Child     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
All,
I am a few days post-op. Had my labral tear debrided and the impinging femoral head shaved down. Everyone reacts differently to the surgery, depending on what you have done and how your body takes the surgery. I am a lightweight, healthy and active person, and I don't typically take a lot of medicine. In my case, the post-op pain is really quite tolerable (I ceased all pain meds on day 2), rather it is the nausea from the anesthesia and other gastro-intestinal issues from the medications that have been quite horrible. My surgery was out of town. I would highly recommend that anyone doing this surgery out of town stay for a few days before flying home, so you can get your bearings before you fly. If you are driving a few hours, you may be relatively comfortable traveling the day after surgery. But the airports are really a miserable place to be on crutches, with nausea and tummy problems and drowsiness and leg pain, if you have any. TSA security, wheelchair assistance, getting on and off the plane, baggage claim--all were really stressful on the body, even though I had someone with me throughout the journey. In the first few days, you definitely need someone at your side to make sure you take the drugs on time, to help you get to the bathroom, to advocate for you at the hospital if need be, to prepare ice packs to keep down the swelling, to change the bandages, to get socks on, etc.

This thread was really helpful to me, so am happy to answer questions if anyone has any.

RAK
posted Nov-27-2007 10:56 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RAK   Click Here to Email RAK     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I was recently diagnosed with a traumatic labral tear in my right hip. My OS here has referred me to Dr. Marc Philippon in Vail, CO for a repair and not a debridement. Has anyone been to see him at the Steadman-Hawkins Clinic there in Vail?? Has anyone had him do a repair? What was your experience like? What was the duration of rehab? How are you doing now? Are you still limited with the activities that you can do? Did you get your insurance to pay? How hard did you have to fight? How expensive was the surgery?

Becky

rltkd
posted Nov-29-2007 09:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rltkd     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I am so glad to have come across this today! I'm not a runner, but was very active in taekwondo and cycling until I was injured at work in May, 2006. I've had problems with my right hip since then. I finally met with an arthroscopic surgeon this past Tuesday and found out that my MRI Arthrogram shows an "anterior-superior labral tear at the 2 o'clock position around the head of the femur." I'm not exactly sure how to picture that...but he's recommended surgery and I'm quite glad to finally have a solution to my constant hip pain. He also is having me go through an ultra-sound guided iliopsoas bursal injection with anesthetic and kenalog using real time imaging of the iliopsoas tendon. I didn't take the time to read all 13 pages of this topic, but has anyone had this test done? I had a really bad experience with the injection for the arthrogram, so I am wondering if this one is any less uncomfortable.

I'm supposed to schedule surgery for sometime fairly soon, hopefully in Januray, but am trying to figure out how much help I'll need and for how long. I definitely need to have the tear repaired/removed, but there is also a chance that they'll also do psoas release or whatever. I understand there's quite a difference in recovery time. Any idea what the difference might be? I need to have plans in place for either or both so I can figure out the best time to schedule the surgery. Chances are I won't know what needs to be done until the day of surgery.

None of the medical professionals I've seen have gone into great detail with me about the surgery itself, recovery time, crutches, pt...so, I'm glad to have the chance to learn from all of you!

RAK
posted Nov-29-2007 10:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RAK   Click Here to Email RAK     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Who is your OS? Becky

quote:
Originally posted by rltkd:
I am so glad to have come across this today! I'm not a runner, but was very active in taekwondo and cycling until I was injured at work in May, 2006. I've had problems with my right hip since then. I finally met with an arthroscopic surgeon this past Tuesday and found out that my MRI Arthrogram shows an "anterior-superior labral tear at the 2 o'clock position around the head of the femur." I'm not exactly sure how to picture that...but he's recommended surgery and I'm quite glad to finally have a solution to my constant hip pain. He also is having me go through an ultra-sound guided iliopsoas bursal injection with anesthetic and kenalog using real time imaging of the iliopsoas tendon. I didn't take the time to read all 13 pages of this topic, but has anyone had this test done? I had a really bad experience with the injection for the arthrogram, so I am wondering if this one is any less uncomfortable.

I'm supposed to schedule surgery for sometime fairly soon, hopefully in Januray, but am trying to figure out how much help I'll need and for how long. I definitely need to have the tear repaired/removed, but there is also a chance that they'll also do psoas release or whatever. I understand there's quite a difference in recovery time. Any idea what the difference might be? I need to have plans in place for either or both so I can figure out the best time to schedule the surgery. Chances are I won't know what needs to be done until the day of surgery.

None of the medical professionals I've seen have gone into great detail with me about the surgery itself, recovery time, crutches, pt...so, I'm glad to have the chance to learn from all of you!

gburgdiscus
posted Nov-29-2007 11:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for gburgdiscus     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I was finally cleared last week for full return to college track practice- 17 weeks and 2 days. I am a thrower, not a runner, which I have found is almost a harder return. Training for the throws involves some running and plyometric work as well as large, fast rotational movements on the hip and heavy lifting. I've been coming back slowly for the last several weeks, but being able to sprint and throw feels amazing. Looking back on the last 2 years I never thought I would get to this point. I tore my labrum in Feb 2006 while throwing shot put at a meet. I was given the run-around by the Dr's, Pt's and athletic trainers before finally figuring out what the true problem was this summer. I feel so blessed to have gotten as far as I have, it makes me appreciate my body much more. Although I had a successful year last year I'm hoping for bigger throws this year, it feels great to get back into throwing and lifting.
I had a 3 cm anterior inferior labrum tear that was debrided in late July. The only remaining discomfort I have is a little muscular tightness in my adductor region. This has been decreasing by the week. The PT is having me do some more difficult strength exercises on both legs and I realized that both my hips are sore in the same places. This makes me really believe that the soreness is a matter of my muscles getting back into shape, not joint pain.
I know this can be a very long and frusterating process, but I pray all of you have a speedy recovery!
Jane

marathon15
posted Nov-30-2007 06:38 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for marathon15   Click Here to Email marathon15     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hi Jane
Great to hear that you are recovering so well--Patience is the name of the game. As you know, I had more significant findings when they went in-a labrum that was so shredded it couldn't be repaired and much more arthritis than he had anticipated. But that said, I think all of us who are active want to be better now. I had my surgery on September 20th so I am 9 weeks post-op and I was just allowed to use the elyptical this week. I have been using the bike but for the first time, I used the elyptical and I was sore. As you said Jane, it is not necessarily the joint that is sore, it is the muscle. I can handle a little pain or soreness in the muscle because I know that will eventually get better. It is the hip pain that I get intermittently which can be discouraging. Taking it slow and doing exactly what the surgeon and the physical therapist tell you to do is the best way to be. My range of motion is improving and I am definitely feeling stronger. My physical therapist has me doing lots of strengthening exercises for my quads, gluts and abs-to support that hip. Lots of balancing on one leg which is harder than you think. Prior to my injury, I was a marathon runner who worked out 6 days/week so believe me when I say it hasn't been easy to take it slow. I'm remaining optimistic that I will get back to some level of exercise like I did before-maybe it won't be running but I've been told that I will be able to bike. Good luck to all of you who are facing surgery or who just had surgery. Don't try to do too much too soon. Be patient! And for any of you in the Boston area-I would again recommend my surgeon Dr. Asnis out of MGH. He's young and has been a very thorough and excellent doctor.....He's one of the Red Sox doctors as well. I have seen David Ortiz at PT and Jon Lester, Manny DelCarmen and Clay Buckholz-Red Sox pitchers!! It has been an added perk as I have gone in and out of Boston for physical therapy! Sue

jenclay78
posted Dec-04-2007 01:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jenclay78   Click Here to Email jenclay78     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Turns out I have a femoral stress fracture...so I've been spending most of my time on THAT thread. Just settling in for a long RESTFUL winter, since I'm not allowed to do much of anything while healing. Good luck to you all!

kristina
posted Dec-06-2007 05:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kristina     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I had my left hip done in June and I've now been diagnosed with a tear on my right side. I'm not surprised. I think I've had it for many years but somehow no one every caught it. It wasn't until I started to have problems on the left side that I now understand that it has gone on for a long time on my right.

kristina
posted Dec-10-2007 08:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kristina     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Did anyone have a psoas release? It was 6 months since my surgery and I still find it hard to lift my leg. It's especially hard to keep it up. It pulls and burns in the groin and hip area when I've to lift my knee up.

soccergirl12
posted Dec-11-2007 09:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for soccergirl12   Click Here to Email soccergirl12     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I had my visit with Dr. Kelly at the HSS on Dec 7th and it went very well. I was there for a very long time, but it was worth it. We went over all of my previous scans (MRI, arthrogram, x-rays) and I had some more x-rays taken. We came to the conclusion that I will be having a scope done and he will be doing three different procedures during the surgery. First he will be treating the impingement, then he will repair/debride the labral tear. Lastly he will do a psoas release. Dr. Kelly advised that he will not know for sure until he gets in there exactly what he is going to do. Most of my scans are unclear as to the exact damage so he can't be sure, but because I have had my injury for so long he said things have manifested into other things and he is afraid they are much worse then they are appearing. He said I have a lot of scar tissue that will have to be removed and that I will need a lot of PT after the surgery. My surgery will be on January 14th. I am so excited to finally see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Carrie

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 13 pages:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: