Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: scorch99

Montreal Spring (?) Chapter....

Topic is 23 pages:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Montreal Spring (?) Chapter....
Df7
Cool Runner
posted Mar-11-2006 08:58 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Df7   Click Here to Email Df7     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Good morning folks, after much prodding from Ms Sally here it is.

Just got in from my hood waddle, wearing shorts – under windbreaker nylon pants – t,-shirt, midlayer and windbreaker, found my ball cap.

Lovely out there, couldn't get enough of that blue sky. Saw a couple of other runners. This is the time of year where we see how bad the roads are, potholes, huge cracks, kinda awful.

Just a follow up on a couple of things from the last chapter, Chops and Roly have a 9:00 Monument run tomorrow morning.

SillySally has a social scheduled for next Wednesday evening at Hurley’s 7:00 – that’s March 15. Fly, and lurkers, great opportunity to put names to faces and meet great people.

Mercury made mention that the mountain is very slippery at the top, maybe with todays weather it will be more slush.

Enjoy the weekend, see some of you next week.

IP: Logged

rolyone
Cool Runner
posted Mar-11-2006 11:19 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rolyone   Click Here to Email rolyone     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Today is just what I needed. A warm sunny morning perfect for a nice long slow run by the water on Leveque east in Laval. 29k total in 3:02:54.
Chops I should still be at the monument tomorrow at 9:00, althought I just may hike it up and down, if the legs are stiff and sore.

Enjoy the day. See you all on Wednesday.

Roly

[This message has been edited by rolyone (edited Mar-11-2006).]

grommit
Cool Runner
posted Mar-12-2006 07:27 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for grommit   Click Here to Email grommit     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
mmmmm... yes the skiing was really good, we stayed in a wonderful old B & B built in 1825.... ate to much, laughed until it hurt... and skied until we couldn't ski anymore... got rained/snowed/sleeted on a little and a one point they closed some of the lifts becuz of the wind... a good time was had by all.

I think I'll trot over to the monument and call it training

take care

grommit

------------------
more waffling

Mercury1
Cool Runner
posted Mar-12-2006 05:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mercury1   Click Here to Email Mercury1     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks for the run "en haut" today Chops, Grommit & Stephane. What a suprise to see you all coming down the hill. Just nursing my hamstring but otherwise everything went well. See you all soon.

Mr Lambchops
Cool Runner
posted Mar-12-2006 06:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mr Lambchops     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks guys for Sunday morning run. What a treat to try to follow Merc's effortless strides !!

------------------
Don't bust my chops, baby, don't bust my chops

flyisa
posted Mar-12-2006 08:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for flyisa     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
DF7 -- thanks for the personal invite tu Hurleys but I have a v-ball game scheduled for that evening..besides I would feel kind of silly, not having actually run with any of you yet.

I'm still looking for turtleboy at the gym...almost went up to a few guys and started chating but got shy.

Anyway, I'd love to try the next mountain run and become worthy of the next Hurleys ...sunday right?

Silly Sally
Cool Runner
posted Mar-12-2006 09:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Silly Sally   Click Here to Email Silly Sally     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flyisa:
DF7 -- thanks for the personal invite tu Hurleys but I have a v-ball game scheduled for that evening..besides I would feel kind of silly, not having actually run with any of you yet.

Hey don't worry about not having run with anyone yet ... I met the group at least a month before I ran with them the first time, and I had even had a dream about meeting Mr. Lambchops right before Hurley's!

Glad that you all had a good time on the mountain today

Ralf: Good luck with the doctor tomorrow ...

Hurley's this Wed, March 15, 7pm:
So far we have: me, TB, Df, KJ, Roly, Merc, Chops
Still have to hear from: Truxx, RG, Grommit, JB (pop-in visit?), Omni, DR (I will reserve a no-smoking table, don't worry)

Did I miss anyone?

Omni: congrats on the new running stroller ... you're still faster than I am ...

Sally

------------------
"Follow your bliss"

grommit
Cool Runner
posted Mar-12-2006 10:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for grommit   Click Here to Email grommit     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks for the lift home and the "Johnnie Cash does Nine-Inch Nails" Chops..... Thanks for for the faster than expected run fellas... I had it in my head to go nice & slow today.... or maybe that's what merc was doing? did we slow his sore ol hamstrings down?.... seemed like today's run had a very phys ed. feel to it......
cant make hurleys.... children, homework, etc.... you know the score
later
grommit

------------------
more waffling

rolyone
Cool Runner
posted Mar-13-2006 08:13 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rolyone   Click Here to Email rolyone     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Good morning all,

Thank you Chops, Grommit and Stephane for yesterdays run.
Merc it would seem that I missed you somewhere up on the mountain yesterday. Oh well I geuss we will finally meet this Wednesday at Hurley's.

Ok I'm getting a little bummed out. Some days it just doesn't feels like I'm improving much. So i spent the day actually reading some of my training books (not just the pretty colorfull pictures). So this is what I learned.

Beer the night before a run is not considered carbo loading
4 cups of coffee does not equal 4 cups of water.

I need to start monitoring my heart rate during my runs to get a better idea of the intensity I am running at so I can properly gauge my progress.

I am looking for a cheap second hand heart rate monitor if anyone has one to sell I am ready to buy.

Have a good day.

roly

[This message has been edited by rolyone (edited Mar-13-2006).]

grommit
Cool Runner
posted Mar-13-2006 09:50 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for grommit   Click Here to Email grommit     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
sorry folks that I'm a few days late with your friday afternoon bit of grommit www.... stuff. Not sure how to discribe this one... you decide
happy monday people....

grommit

roly... try walmart... cheap & ugly

------------------
more waffling

Df7
Cool Runner
posted Mar-13-2006 10:07 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Df7   Click Here to Email Df7     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
you, my friend, are insane - I have to remember to not look at this stuff while at work.

Joeboxter
Cool Runner
posted Mar-13-2006 04:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Joeboxter   Click Here to Email Joeboxter     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

I kinda like this quote from the below posted article:

"rats are highly motivated to run. If you give them access to a running wheel, they will run without fail. This is a universally motivating behavior. This is not true for humans -- many humans are not motivated to exercise."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20060313/hl_hsn/runningalonemayofferdiminishedrewards

Enjoy.

Flyisa!.!.!.! And by the way, not having run with any of us, is irrelavant when it comes to drinking with us. You should make it to Hurleys regardless. I met Mars, Chops, and Grommit at the bar before running with any of them.

SS. There may be a "pop-in" visit, I am not sure yet. Depends on how the day goes.

Cheers all,
-M

"We are here and it is now. Further than that all human knowledge is moonshine."
- HL Mencken

rolyone
Cool Runner
posted Mar-13-2006 07:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rolyone   Click Here to Email rolyone     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by grommit:

roly... try walmart... cheap & ugly

Ugly yes, cheap no. passed by after work and they charging $70 for one that looks like it came outa of a kids party bag. I'll start using the one on my treadmill again and buy one later for my long runs.

Very light weights tonight the injured shoulder muscle made certain I kept it easy. OUUCCHH darn-it.

JB hope to see you Wednesday.

Roly

Silly Sally
Cool Runner
posted Mar-14-2006 10:38 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Silly Sally   Click Here to Email Silly Sally     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Tomorrow night's Hurley at 7pm: Reservation under "Montreal Coolrunners". See you all there!

Lurkers who have never run with us yet & Mtl CR's who haven't RSVP'd yet: Hope to see you at Hurley's - just let me know today please ...

Roly: Spend the $70 and more if you want ... it's an investment. I remember picking up my HRM for just over $100 on sale and thinking it was cheap! I had bought a $250 one for an ex a few years back ... It's a matter of perspective.

Ralf: How did it go?

Sally

------------------
"Follow your bliss"

Mr Lambchops
Cool Runner
posted Mar-14-2006 10:46 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mr Lambchops     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Silly Sally:
Roly: Spend the $70 and more if you want ... it's an investment. I remember picking up my HRM for just over $100 on sale and thinking it was cheap! I had bought a $250 one for an ex a few years back... To find out the guy had no heart. What a waste.

------------------
Don't bust my chops, baby, don't bust my chops

rolyone
Cool Runner
posted Mar-14-2006 11:10 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rolyone   Click Here to Email rolyone     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
[b]
Roly: Spend the $70 and more if you want ... it's an investment. I remember picking up my HRM for just over $100 on sale and thinking it was cheap! I had bought a $250 one for an ex a few years back ... It's a matter of perspective.

SS I got a big heart wanna buy me one.

I'm not worried about the $70. I won't pay that for somthing that looks like it would shatter if dropped.

Roly

RalfM
Cool Runner
posted Mar-14-2006 11:48 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for RalfM     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Ralf: How did it go?

Hrmpfff. I am not sure, yet. After the examination, the medicine explained the results to me: "There's definetely something wrong with your right leg" (yes, I know that) "You might have a stress fracture or an inflammation of the skin surrounding the bone [aka shin splint]". (Yes, I did know that one before, too. I am here to learn which one it is). After I insisted a bit, he said that the shin splint is a bit more likely. Why did I do this radiation intensive examination if he can't see the difference? Maybe my orthopedist can make a bit more out of the results. I am going to see him tomorrow. Stay tuned!

I wish you a nice meeting at Hurley's tonight. I would like to be there with you. One day ... Take a brew for me.

Ralf

------------------
Follow your nose

Mr Lambchops
Cool Runner
posted Mar-14-2006 12:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mr Lambchops     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RalfM:
... Take a brew for me.

Ralf: A cider will do ??? Take care my friend.

grommit
Cool Runner
posted Mar-14-2006 12:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for grommit   Click Here to Email grommit     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
ralfie.... did I mention that my stress fractures were self-diagnosed after my doc. explained that most of the time they can't detect bugger all with x-rays & MRI ...... saved myself the time and bother. He gave me nsaid's and a number for a good physio....
This will take some time and patience, but the hopping routine became a sort of ritual every day....to remind me not to run... before I got on the Elip. thing, don't worry you'll be back soon

ss. when do u start running again?

roly. get yur credit card out!

man, is it only tuesday?.... arghh!!!

grommit

Silly Sally
Cool Runner
posted Mar-14-2006 02:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Silly Sally   Click Here to Email Silly Sally     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Lambchops:

You are just WAAAAY too funny for your own good ... no, he didn't have a heart, sniff, sniff, that's why he needed a cool watch that ticked instead.

... and that's why he's an ex

Roly: GO BUY IT!! Get yourself a really cool expensive sturdy one ... you like gadgets and statistics ... Buy it and show it off tomorrow at Hurley's ... It's tempting, isn't it? Come to the dark side ... Mouahahahaha!

Ralf: Damn!

JB: We Montreal Coolrunners are all rats ...

Sally

[This message has been edited by Silly Sally (edited Mar-14-2006).]

Df7
Cool Runner
posted Mar-14-2006 03:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Df7   Click Here to Email Df7     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
who you calling a rat Ms Sally ? I've already been compared to a hamster by someone ...you know the ole run, eat, sleep thing, run eat sleep and repeat again. Now, a rat ? At least hamsters are kinda cute. Don't live long but cute.

Yep Gro, its only Tuesday. I feel your pain.

Ralf -

RalfM
Cool Runner
posted Mar-14-2006 04:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RalfM     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Ralf: A cider will do ??? Take care my friend.

Yes, a cider will do.
[X] send pix

quote:
ralfie.... did I mention that my stress fractures were self-diagnosed after my doc. explained that most of the time they can't detect bugger all with x-rays & MRI ...... saved myself the time and bother. He gave me nsaid's and a number for a good physio....
This will take some time and patience, but the hopping routine became a sort of ritual every day....to remind me not to run... before I got on the Elip. thing, don't worry you'll be back soon

I already asked myself if I care whether it is a shin splint or a stress fracture. The conservative treatment is the same. Rest, cross training and no running for a couple of weeks or a couple of month. However, the advantage of a confirmed shin splint would be that a more intensive treatment like electrophoresis could be justified. Anyway, I will wait for tomorrows results. Luckily, it doesn't take that long to get the appointments.

A big thank you to everybody for your support, thoughts and wishes. You help me a lot to make it over this period of forced immobility.

Ralf

------------------
Follow your nose

[This message has been edited by RalfM (edited Mar-14-2006).]

rolyone
Cool Runner
posted Mar-14-2006 06:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rolyone   Click Here to Email rolyone     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by grommit:

roly. get yur credit card out!

I kinda like this one.

http://www.polar.fi/polar/channels/eng/segments/Running/RS200sd.html

Mr Lambchops
Cool Runner
posted Mar-14-2006 06:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mr Lambchops     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flyisa:

There may be a "pop-in" visit, I am not sure yet. Depends on how the day goes.

Cheers all,
-M

"We are here and it is now. Further than that all human knowledge is moonshine."
- HL Mencken

Hope you find the time to pop-in, Grommit.... Sir, is that a flower in your hair ?

Silly Sally
Cool Runner
posted Mar-14-2006 07:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Silly Sally   Click Here to Email Silly Sally     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Hope you find the time to pop-in, Grommit....

You mean JB ...

Sally

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 23 pages:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: