Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: Jim Sullivan

Women and hormones: WTF???

Topic is 3 pages:
1 2 3
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Women and hormones: WTF???
mageline
Cool Runner
posted Mar-08-2006 10:00 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for mageline     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CharlesRiverBlowfish:

CRB, <laughs knowingly and strokes her menopausal beard>

YOu can laugh about it now, but I bet you'd react differently f you saw the comment a few years before menopause.

Seriously, though, don't you think those who admit to be irrational while PMS'ing have trouble doing their jobs effectively? I for one, have trouble communicating my thoughts without sounding irritated during that time of the month. Any other time, I'm as calm as an angel.

IP: Logged

sue
Cool Runner
posted Mar-08-2006 10:03 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for sue   Click Here to Email sue     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
it's about as right to let a woman know she's beyotchy during PMS as it is to let a man know that he is a big cry baby while sick.

DogMom
Cool Runner
posted Mar-08-2006 10:06 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for DogMom   Click Here to Email DogMom     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
The first rule of PMS is - you do not talk about PMS. The second rule of PMS is - you DO NOT talk about PMS

The hubby has gotten where he can just tell by the look in my eye.

CharlesRiverBlowfish
Cool Runner
posted Mar-08-2006 10:08 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for CharlesRiverBlowfish   Click Here to Email CharlesRiverBlowfish     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mageline:
[QUOTE]YOu can laugh about it now, but I bet you'd react differently f you saw the comment a few years before menopause.

Seriously, though, don't you think those who admit to be irrational while PMS'ing have trouble doing their jobs effectively? I for one, have trouble communicating my thoughts without sounding irritated during that time of the month. Any other time, I'm as calm as an angel.

Yep, I think there are women who are exquisitely sensitive to hormonal flux for whatever reason (genetic suseptibility perhaps...women tend to be more sensitive to changes in cortisol, too). Speaking for myself, I have been able to exert at least a modicum of rational control over my behavior even under hormonal tumult. Or at least I preferred to attribute my bad behavior to, well, bad behavior and not to my pituitary-hypothalamic-adrenal-gonadal axis.

[This message has been edited by CharlesRiverBlowfish (edited Mar-08-2006).]

mageline
Cool Runner
posted Mar-08-2006 10:13 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for mageline     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CharlesRiverBlowfish:
Yep, I think there are women who are exquisitely sensitive to hormonal flux for whatever reason (genetic suseptibility perhaps...women tend to be more sensitive to changes in cortisol, too). Speaking for myself, I have been able to exert at least a modicum of rational control over my behavior even under hormonal tumult. Or at least I preferred to attribute my bad behavior to, well, bad behavior and not to my pituitary-hypothalamic-adrenal-gonadal axis.

[This message has been edited by CharlesRiverBlowfish (edited Mar-08-2006).]

exquisitely hormonal flux genetic susceptibility modicum of rational control hormonal tumult putuitary-hypothalamic-adrenal-gonadal axis

Wow! You're wordy. Is that what you call pedantic?

I love it nonetheless.

CharlesRiverBlowfish
Cool Runner
posted Mar-08-2006 10:16 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for CharlesRiverBlowfish   Click Here to Email CharlesRiverBlowfish     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
[QUOTE]

In a word, yes.

Thanks, mageline!

------------------
Dr. Joan Bushwell's Chimpanzee Refuge

TropicalEsq
Cool Runner
posted Mar-08-2006 10:24 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for TropicalEsq   Click Here to Email TropicalEsq     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by colby5402:
Not me!

When my DH asks me if I'm PMSing...I usually say, "Oh, yeah. That's why I'm not myself today. Now toss me my Blue Bell Moolenium Cruch and go to Circuit City and leave me be!"

But that's just me. We're all different, Trop!

C

I <heart> Colby.

TropicalEsq
Cool Runner
posted Mar-08-2006 10:26 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for TropicalEsq   Click Here to Email TropicalEsq     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rockchalkchick:
Personally, I have no problem doing my job regardless of my mental state - if I'm stressed by personal issues, PMS-y, or otherwise...

When I slap on my "business face," I leave the rest behind. At work, it's work. I'm perfectly capable of performing my work regardless of my hormonal state.

So, why can't you be perfectly capable of acting like a sane human being at home, too?

Leezle
Cool Runner
posted Mar-08-2006 10:29 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Leezle   Click Here to Email Leezle     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TropicalEsq:
So, why can't you be perfectly capable of acting like a sane human being at home, too?

So does this mean everyone has to stroke your ego constantly at work as well?

We *all* have things in our lives that we don't take to work with us and just let out at home. Even kids understand this.

TropicalEsq
Cool Runner
posted Mar-08-2006 10:32 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for TropicalEsq   Click Here to Email TropicalEsq     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leezle:

We *all* have things in our lives that we don't take to work with us and just let out at home. Even kids understand this.

Okay, so you're saying it's not that you can't, it's that you just don't want to act like a sane human being at home, so you let your loved ones have it? Got it. Thanks! Now here's some Ben & Jerry's...

Fionn mac Cumhail
Cool Runner
posted Mar-08-2006 10:32 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Fionn mac Cumhail   Click Here to Email Fionn mac Cumhail     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

Unfortunately, you're 100% right...it's the human condition...strangers are always treated better than loved ones...

------------------
-Fionn-

Finn MacCool

Leezle
Cool Runner
posted Mar-08-2006 10:35 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Leezle   Click Here to Email Leezle     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fionn mac Cumhail:

Unfortunately, you're 100% right...it's the human condition...strangers are always treated better than loved ones...

Loved ones have to take the good with the bad, it's part of the job, but it isn't an excuse to let it get out of hand and treat people badly or be abusive.

ferrellk
Cool Runner
posted Mar-08-2006 10:36 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ferrellk     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fionn mac Cumhail:

Makes sense to me.

I don't know how those strangers are going to react. I know exactly how my loved one will react. I've pushed those buttons thousands of times (and visa versa).

leahmonster
Cool Runner
posted Mar-08-2006 10:37 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for leahmonster     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Maybe I really AM crazy...I do get PMS, but I am aware of it and make adjustments so I do not lash out or act in a manner that I regret later. When I do NOT have PMS and you make litle jokey comments about that being the reason I am b!tchy, well then I reserve the right to cut you down and make you feel small.

For the record, if I eat a whole jar of olives + the juice in one sitting maybe that would be a good day to give me an extra hug.

hahaoya
Cool Runner
posted Mar-08-2006 10:40 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for hahaoya   Click Here to Email hahaoya     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

I love it nonetheless.

Less pedantic, more verbiage. It's beautiful ain't it? When I grow up I want to be a melange of CRB, CLB, Diane and you.

[This message has been edited by hahaoya (edited Mar-08-2006).]

CallipyG
Cool Runner
posted Mar-08-2006 10:41 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for CallipyG   Click Here to Email CallipyG     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

Note: workplace = direct, to the point, say froggie ---> jump, don't make me tell you more than twice to do something, crisp, professional, not much huggy-wuggy. This is considered GOOD workplace etiquette.

Note how this workplace ettiquette is also in perfect alignment with PMS etiquette.

At home PMS = direct, to the point, say froggie ---> jump, don't make me tell you more than twice to do something, crisp, professional, not much huggy-wuggy.

Leezle
Cool Runner
posted Mar-08-2006 10:44 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Leezle   Click Here to Email Leezle     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Okay, so you're saying it's not that you can't, it's that you just don't want to act like a sane human being at home, so you let your loved ones have it? Got it. Thanks! Now here's some Ben & Jerry's...

Well you are the king of twisting words, so no doubt you would take it the wrong way.

People NEED to get things out. You can't bottle everything up, in fact it proably ends up coming out stronger at home because it is exhausting holding everything in to save face elsewhere. This is true for men too, you just may not have to deal with the issues and imbalances on a regular monthly basis.

Oh, and I don't binge when I'm hormonal or cranky. Save the ice cream for yourself.

Fionn mac Cumhail
Cool Runner
posted Mar-08-2006 10:46 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Fionn mac Cumhail   Click Here to Email Fionn mac Cumhail     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ferrellk:
Makes sense to me.

I don't know how those strangers are going to react. I know exactly how my loved one will react. I've pushed those buttons thousands of times (and visa versa).

I agree, and probably will continue to....but it's wrong...

edit for clarity: I too, will probably continue to....I didn't mean you...

------------------
-Fionn-

Finn MacCool

[This message has been edited by Fionn mac Cumhail (edited Mar-08-2006).]

TropicalEsq
Cool Runner
posted Mar-08-2006 10:47 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for TropicalEsq   Click Here to Email TropicalEsq     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CallipyG:
Note: workplace = direct, to the point, say froggie ---> jump, don't make me tell you more than twice to do something, crisp, professional, not much huggy-wuggy. This is considered GOOD workplace etiquette.

Note how this workplace ettiquette is also in perfect alignment with PMS etiquette.

At home PMS = direct, to the point, say froggie ---> jump, don't make me tell you more than twice to do something, crisp, professional, not much huggy-wuggy.

Ha! Perfect.

Huh... It occurs to me that some of the women reading this thread might be PMSing right now, and that this thread is royally pissing them off (with good reason, of course)!

Gogirlgo
Cool Runner
posted Mar-08-2006 10:48 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gogirlgo   Click Here to Email Gogirlgo     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
PMS is not something that happens to me, but a long time ago it did. And the thing is, Trop, that when it happened, I was never able to say at the time, "Oh, I'm feeling irrational, I must be PMSing." Everything I thought at the time felt totally legitimate.

So that if you were to have asked me at that moment whether I was PMSing (not an unreasonable question), it would have struck me as deeply insulting b/c recall that in my mind, I was being rational. Asking me if I'm PMSing is the same as telling me you don't think my thinking is rational. Later, when I was no longer PMSing, I could see it for what it was. But not right then.

It's a little bit similar to drunkenness. A lot of people don't know they're drunk when they are and if you were to ask them, based on their actions or words, whether they were drunk, they might find it really insulting but later understand why you asked.

TropicalEsq
Cool Runner
posted Mar-08-2006 10:55 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for TropicalEsq   Click Here to Email TropicalEsq     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Well you are the king of twisting words, so no doubt you would take it the wrong way.

People NEED to get things out. You can't bottle everything up, in fact it proably ends up coming out stronger at home because it is exhausting holding everything in to save face elsewhere. This is true for men too, you just may not have to deal with the issues and imbalances on a regular monthly basis.

Oh, and I don't binge when I'm hormonal or cranky. Save the ice cream for yourself.

Hey, I'm not trying to piss you off, Leezle. (PMS joke deleted.) And though it's a bit of a hijack, I will say that I try really hard NOT to take things out on my loved ones for exactly the reasons Fionn states. It's not fair to them. If I must take it out on someone, it will be a stranger or some imaginary person on a message board. But I try to treat my loved ones the best, all the time. And I find that if I just keep my crankiness to myself, it usually goes away and I've avoided selfishly lashing out at someone I really care about. That works for me.

[/hijack]

mcgoofy
Cool Runner
posted Mar-08-2006 10:55 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for mcgoofy   Click Here to Email mcgoofy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have given Month at a Glance calendars to boyfriends, indicating what week I may be cranky, weepy or generally emotional, and told them they have every right to call me on it.

Leezle
Cool Runner
posted Mar-08-2006 11:02 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Leezle   Click Here to Email Leezle     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Hey, I'm not trying to piss you off, Leezle. (PMS joke deleted.) And though it's a bit of a hijack, I will say that I try really hard NOT to take things out on my loved ones for exactly the reasons Fionn states. It's not fair to them. If I must take it out on someone, it will be a stranger or some imaginary person on a message board. But I try to treat my loved ones the best, all the time. And I find that if I just keep my crankiness to myself, it usually goes away and I've avoided selfishly lashing out at someone I really care about. That works for me.

[/hijack]

Well general crankiness and moodiness are one thing, but lashing out is a whole different beast. If you saw what I wrote above, I am NOT making excuses for abusive or awful behavior. It is not right to be hurtful to those we love due to hormones. It DOES however, explain general cranky, moody and mopey behavior. There is a middle ground between faking happiness, and feeling good, and lashing out, mean, and rude behavior.

[This message has been edited by Leezle (edited Mar-08-2006).]

Ripplerun
Cool Runner
posted Mar-08-2006 11:27 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ripplerun     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
All I have to say is when itís crunch time and time to get downright mean and dirty no man can match the strength and fight of a woman with PMS.

CallipyG
Cool Runner
posted Mar-08-2006 11:55 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for CallipyG   Click Here to Email CallipyG     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ripplerun:
All I have to say is when itís crunch time and time to get downright mean and dirty no man can match the strength and fight of a woman with PMS.

Humpf. I think dudes, in general, just act like they've got PMS as a matter of course. So it seems normal, and there are fewer ups and back-downs.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 3 pages:
1 2 3
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: