Coloradans Win Rock ‘n’ Roll Denver Marathon, Half Marathon
5,000 participants toured the scenic streets of Denver at the 4th edition race; Atlas Genius headlined free concert in Civic Center Park; Charities raised more than $150,000 at the event
Posted Sunday, 20 October, 2013
DENVER (October 20, 2013) – More than 15,000 runners took over the streets of Denver at the 4th edition Sports Authority Rock ‘n’ Roll Denver Marathon & ½ Marathon today. While the weather was chilly, Denver did not disappoint with a stunning backdrop of brilliant fall colors for participants to enjoy along the course. The scenery was accompanied by the sounds of live local bands, encouraging cheerleaders, supportive spectators and runners from all 50 states and 11 foreign countries.
Among the runners was first-time marathoner Tommy Dialynas, a recent transplant to Denver who ran away with overall marathon title in 2 hours, 27 minutes, 39 seconds, and Nicole Chyr, a tenacious local marathon veteran who won the women’s race in 2:51:08. Chyr also finished third and second, respectively, in this race the previous two years and has also won other marathons, including the Kauai Marathon in Hawaii six weeks ago.
“I was pretty happy with my time, for my first marathon,” said Dialynas, who works as a financial consultant in Denver. “I took it out much too fast and really paid for it the last four miles. I kind of felt myself cramping up at the end. I wish I would have been able to finish harder, but I’m really happy I stuck with it and tried to finish the best I could. It was a great learning experience and it was a great course.”
“I was neck and neck with Nuta Olaru (second place winner; 2:51:45) until the last mile, but I knew that hill was there,” said Chyr, who had numerous friends and family members cheering her on. “It was a perfect weather, perfect day and a great course.”
In the half-marathon, Jeremy Freed, running for Team Newton Elite, broke away from the field after an opening 5:20 mile and never looked back. He gradually increased his lead to more than 2 minutes through the 10K mark (32:48), placing him first in 1:08:34. Boulder resident Lidia Simon, a five-time Olympian for her native Romania, won the women’s half marathon in 1:18:01 after running away from 2012 U.S. Olympic trials qualifier Wendy Thomas (1:18:56).
“Usually I can run under 1:15, but today I couldn’t breathe,” said Simon, who just turned 40 but admitted she’s hoping to make the 2016 Romanian Olympic team.
Participants from all walks of life and fitness levels participated in the 26.2-mile marathon, 13.1-mile half marathon, 2-person half marathon relay, 22-mile Bike Tour, and a new 3.7-mile Mini Marathon. The race started and finished at Civic Center Park in downtown Denver and took participants on a running tour of the Mile High City, through unique neighborhoods and four of the city’s large parks, with stunning views of the mountains along the way. All runners received a finishers’ medal, t-shirt, goodie bag and access to the post-race celebration, where the Australian duo, Atlas Genius, kept the crowd rocking.
4th Sports Authority Rock ‘n’ Roll Denver Marathon & Half
Denver, Colo., Sunday, October 20, 2013
1. Thomas Diaynas, 2:27:39, 23, Denver, CO
2. Nelson Laux, 2:34:40, 35, Arvada, CO
3. Chris Siemers, 2:34:41, 32, Littleton, CO
4. Tristan Mitchell 2:37:11, 27, Centennial, CO
5. Kevin Gallagher, 2:38:45, 34, Denver, CO
1. Nicole Chyr, 2:51:08, 35, Englewood, CO
2. Nuta Olaru, 2:51:45, 43, Longmont, CO
3. Dianne Gates, 3:01:55, 49, Boulder, CO
4. Deborah Vander, 3:02:56, 28, Evergreen, CO
5. Ruby Bode, 3:06:23, 33, Estes Park, CO
Men’s Half Marathon
1. Jeremy Freed, 1:08:34, 26, Longmont, CO
2. Jonathan Aziz, 1:11:46, 22, Boulder, CO
3. Sean Mahoney, 1:13:42, 21, Gunnison, CO
4. Bob Weiner, 1:13:51, 48, Evergreen, CO
5. Steven Busch, 1:15:42, 25, Parker, CO
Women’s Half Marathon
1. Lidia Simon, 1:18:01, 40, Boulder, CO
2. Wendy Thomas, 1:18:56, 34, Windsor, CO
3. Bethany Chang, 1:20:37, 36, Denver, CO
4. Constantina Dita, 1:20:52, 43, Erie, CO
5. Amanda Scott, 1:20:56, 25, Boulder, CO
For full results, visit www.RunRocknRoll.com/Denver