Course Records Fall at GO! St. Louis Events
Kosgei, Pirtle-Hall marathon champions; Kirwa, Blake half-marathon winners; Saturday events canceled due to severe weather
From Ryan Lamppa, Running USA
Posted Monday, 16 April, 2012
ST. LOUIS - (April 15, 2012) - On Sunday morning, Kenyan Julius Kosgei, 32, from Searcy, AR captured his first GO! St. Louis Marathon title in 2 hours, 28 minutes, 38 seconds. On a day when start temperatures were above 67 degrees and runners fought strong winds, Kosgei edged Jerry Faulkner, 30, from Edmond, OK by 15 seconds.
On the women's side it was another first time GO! St. Louis champion - Jackie Pirtle-Hall, 29, from Saint Charles, MO, who established a new course record, posting a time of 2:42:03, eclipsing Megan Earney's record of 2:51:20, set in 2009. Beth Woodward, 36, from Orrville, OH finished second in 2:59:11.
In the Half Marathon, Kenyan Daniel Kirwa, 25, from Searcy AR also set a new course record, clocking 1:05:01. Kirwa broke Mario Macias' record of 1:05:09, set in 2010. He was followed by runner-up and countryman Benson Chesang, 29, who posted a 1:08:54 mark. Chesang is the brother of two-time half-marathon champion Mathew Chesang (2007-08). Finishing third was Kenyan Abraham Rutto, 29, from West Des Moines, IA, who ran 1:09:05.
In the women's 13.1 mile race, Alexandra Blake, 29, from Tucson, AZ was the first woman to cross the line in 1:20:52. Blake finished ahead of local Sunny Gilbert, 33, from Ellisville, MO, who posted a 1:24:24 time. Third place was captured by Jessica Koster, crossing the line in 1:25:13.
In the 12th running of the GO! St. Louis Marathon & Family Fitness Weekend, more 8,700 finished the half-marathon and more than 1,500 finished the marathon. The event also included a 4-person marathon relay, with more than 500 teams competing. In all more than 25,000 participants, had registered in 10 different events, over the two-day weekend of fitness races. The GO! St. Louis 5K, Read, Right & Run Marathon, Children's Fun Runs and Mature Mile, which were set to take place on Saturday, were canceled due to severe weather in the area.
The GO! St. Louis Marathon & Family Fitness Weekend is Missouri's largest fitness event.
12th GO! St. Louis Marathon
St. Louis, MO, Sunday, April 15, 2012
1) Julius Kosgei (KEN), 32, Searcy, AR, 2:28:38, $1500
2) Jerry Faulkner, 30, Edmond, OK, 2:28:53, $750
3) Magnus Holmstron, 32, Jefferson City, MO, 2:33:03, $500
1) Jackie Pirtle-Hall, 29, Saint Charles, MO, 2:42:03, $2000*
2) Beth Woodward, 36, Orrville, OH, 2:59:11, $750
3) Heather Backer, 37, Crest View Hills, KY, 2:59:29, $500
10th GO! St. Louis Half-Marathon
1) Daniel Kirwa (KEN), 25, Searcy, AR, 1:05:01, $1500*
2) Benson Chesang (KEN), 29, Lawrence, KS, 1:08:54, $500
3) Abraham Rutto (KEN), 29, W Des Moines, IA, 1:09:05, $400
1) Alexandra Blake, 29, Tucson, AZ, 1:20:52, $1000
2) Sunny Gilbert, 33, Ellisville, MO, 1:24:24, $500
3) Jessica Koster, 24, St. Louis, MO, 1:25:13, $400
*includes course record bonus ($500)
Complete results and more at: www.gostlouis.org