“Spirit of the Marathon II” Races Into Cinemas
NCM Fathom Events and Competitor Group Take Audiences Through the Training and Challenges of Facing the Famed 26.2 Mile Race In Select U.S. Theaters on Wednesday, June 12
Posted Friday, 31 May, 2013
Centennial, Colo. – April 25, 2013 – The road to the finish line of a marathon is paved with individual stories of motivation, determination and triumph. Set against the sweeping backdrop of a 26.2 mile marathon race through the historic streets of Rome, Italy, “Spirit of the Marathon II” focuses on seven inspiring individuals whose lives will forever be transformed by the experience. NCM Fathom Events and Competitor Group present this highly anticipated sequel to the 2008 award-winning documentary “Spirit of the Marathon” in select U.S. theaters on Wednesday, June 12 at 7:00 p.m. local time. Audiences will be transported to six countries for an intimate “up close and personal” look into the runners’ lives and the challenges they face – both physical and emotional – on an epic journey where finishing the Rome Marathon is anything but certain. The event also features inspirational interviews with marathon greats Stefano Baldini, Paula Radcliffe, Frank Shorter, Kathrine Switizer and others as they offer perspective and insight into this legendary race and its history. This one-night event will include behind-the-scenes interviews, deleted scenes and memorable outtakes from the filming of the documentary.
Tickets for “Spirit of the Marathon II” are available at participating theater box offices and online at www.FathomEvents.com. For a complete list of theater locations and prices, visit the NCM Fathom Events website (theaters and participants are subject to change). The event will be broadcast to more than 600 select movie theaters across the country through NCM’s exclusive Digital Broadcast Network.
Film producers, NCM Fathom Events and movie theater circuit partners AMC Entertainment Inc., Cinemark Holdings, Inc. and Regal Entertainment Group will donate a portion of the proceeds from the “Spirit of the Marathon II” event to The One Fund Boston to assist those families most affected by the tragic events that unfolded during the 2013 Boston Marathon on April 15. The Competitor Group, along with organizations representing all facets of the running industry, has launched www.RunNow.com to raise money for The One Fund Boston and promote the sport of running.
“Spirit of the Marathon II” is a passion project made by marathon runners and accomplished filmmakers Jon Dunham (director) and Gwendolen Twist (producer), who led a team that includes three-time Academy Award® winner Mark Jonathan Harris (executive producer) and Academy Award® nominee Megan Williams (producer).
“In the sea of humanity at the start of every big city marathon, each individual has reasons to run that go beyond 26.2 miles,” said 25-time marathoner Dunham.
“It is our intention to bring these stories into focus with the ‘Spirit of the Marathon’ documentaries,” said Twist, who recently qualified for the prestigious Boston Marathon.
Filmed during the sweeping panorama of the 2012 Rome Marathon, the documentary brings together a diverse cast of amateur athletes and marathon veterans, including:
- Julie Weiss – Veteran Marathoner – At the Rome Marathon, Julie began a quest to run a marathon a week for a year to honor the memory of her father on an emotional journey to spread awareness and raise money for pancreatic cancer - the devastating disease that claimed his life.
- Ylenia Anelli – First-time Marathoner – While struggling to keep her mom-and -pop running shoe store open in Milan and raising two children, Ylenia takes on the challenge of training to run her first marathon.
- Vasyl Matviychuk – Olympic Marathoner Hopeful – The elite marathoner trains with the pride of country in his heart in hopes that a fast time at the Rome Marathon will earn him the last spot on the Ukrainian National Olympic Team.
- Mimmo Scipioni – Veteran Marathoner – The good-natured, hard-working owner of "Pizzeria Il Podista" (The Runner Pizzeria) in Rome, Mimmo has lined his pizzeria’s walls with photos and trophies from the more than 40 marathons he has run. It is a pre-race tradition for runners to carbo load with Mimmo. For Mimmo, the family tradition of running the Rome Marathon is in jeopardy due to a nagging injury.
- Domenico Anzini – Veteran Marathoner – Prodded by his cousin Mimmo, it took a lot of convincing for Domenico to give running a try. Now, 18 years later, the 73-year-old has run in every Rome Marathon since its inception. The camaraderie and humor the cousins share during their training runs goes to the heart of family.
- Cliff Scott – First-time Marathoner – Scott’s bucket list decision to run his first marathon in his 60’s is an inspiration unto itself. When faced with an unimaginable family tragedy he struggles to make peace with himself during training runs in the woods. It is painfully obvious that his loss has taken its toll and calls into question whether he will be able to finish the Rome Marathon.
- Epiphanie Nyirabarame – Two-time Olympian – One of the few professional runners in Rwanda, Epiphanie proudly represents her country around the world to create change for women. Having been deeply affected by the genocide in 1994, Epiphanie uses her resources to invest in her community, advocating for progress and growth, especially for the future generation of runners.
NCM Fathom Events teamed with Dunham, Twist, Harris and Wasserman Media Group in 2008 to bring the documentary “Spirit of the Marathon,” which chronicled the journey of six runners in the 2007 Chicago Marathon, to hundreds of U.S. movie theaters, many of which sold out. The documentary has emerged as a cult favorite in the running community.
“’Spirit of the Marathon II’ is more than a sports event – it’s an opportunity for runners and non-runners alike to come together as a community in their local movie theaters to experience seven different inspirational journeys with each of these runners,” said Shelly Maxwell, executive vice president of NCM Fathom Events. “The 2008 event featuring the first ‘Spirit of the Marathon’ drew tens of thousands of attendees. ‘Spirit of the Marathon II’ is a must-see for those who run and those who don’t. It’s an extraordinary experience for all.”
About National CineMedia (NCM)
National CineMedia (NCM) operates NCM Media Networks, a leading integrated media company reaching U.S. consumers in movie theaters, online and through mobile technology. The NCM Cinema Network and NCM Fathom Events present cinema advertising and events across the nation’s largest digital in-theater network, comprised of theaters owned by AMC Entertainment Inc., Cinemark Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: CNK), Regal Entertainment Group (NYSE: RGC) and other leading regional theater circuits. NCM’s theater advertising network covers 183 Designated Market Areas® (49 of the top 50) and includes over 19,300 screens (approximately 18,500 digital). During 2012, approximately 710 million patrons attended movies shown in theaters in which NCM currently has exclusive, cinema advertising agreements in place. The NCM Fathom Events live digital broadcast network (“DBN”) is comprised of over 740 locations in 172 Designated Market Areas® (including all of the top 50). The NCM Interactive Network offers 360-degree integrated marketing opportunities in combination with cinema, encompassing 41 entertainment-related websites, online widgets and mobile applications. National CineMedia, Inc. (NASDAQ: NCMI) owns a 46.9% interest in and is the managing member of National CineMedia LLC. For more information, visit www.ncm.com or www.FathomEvents.com. (NCMI-E)