Women, Lace Up Your Glass Slippers and Run This Magical Course!
Perhaps you will be whisked away in a diamond encrusted pumpkin carriage when you run the Disney Princess Half Marathon. Ladies, make your childhood dreams come true! Take the journey to become a true princess during this adventurous weekend race getaway at Walt Disney World Resort February 25th-27th, 2011.
Posted Thursday, 16 December, 2010
The Disney Princess Half Marathon – presented by Lady Footlocker – is a women’s racing weekend that has families and friends flying from all over the U.S. and beyond to participate in this unique racing experience. Not only is the race located in Florida’s famous Walt Disney World Resort, but it is expertly organized and directed – from pre-race planning to post-event celebrations. There are an amazing array of amenities and terrific prizes and goodies.
And you can enjoy the magic of Disney all weekend. Only at a runDisney event can you see, AND get photos taken with, Disney characters such as Prince Charming, Captain Jack Sparrow, Minnie and Mickey; and, of course, the famous Disney Princesses. Now in its third year, the Disney Princess Half Marathon competes with the best half marathons with superb organization, making it a must-run, must-experience race weekend.
The Disney Princess Half Marathon is a magical race in a magical place and perfect for women of all ages and abilities. Runners and walkers of all paces are welcome and encouraged to shoot for the stars on this enchanted course. Join your fellow princesses for a bewitching adventure that celebrates the wonderful attributes that every princess possesses: commitment, courage, determination, perseverance, and strength. Get ready to go with friends and family for a perfect getaway that is guaranteed to be a memorable vacation for all.
The top three reasons to join the 2011 Disney Princess Half Marathon:
1. Fun For All Women—every age and pace: What kid or grown-up “kid” doesn’t love Walt Disney World? It’s fun, there is much to see and do, and it’s the most magical place on earth! Make it a girls’ only trip, or a romantic and fun weekend getaway for two (however, you may kiss your Prince Charming goodbye at the start line). Run for fun or for a Personal Record – either way, you will have a blast doing so!
2. Family Friendly: Calling this race “family friendly” is the understatement of the year. Not only do you have Walt Disney World right outside of your window, but you have kids’ races and activities galore. You could make it a weeklong family vacation, or bring the family for a two or three day mini-stay. Either way, the family will be able to experience their own races: on Saturday, February 26th at 7:00 a.m. there is a Royal Family 5K designed especially for Princesses and their families; then at 10:00 a.m. there will be Royal Family Kids’ Races for ages 13 and under.
3. A Fairytale Come True: this race is one-of-a-kind in two major ways: firstly, it is a women’s field. This is a very powerful group of female athletes; some highly competitive and some who are interested in achieving a PR; some want to stretch their goals for their first half marathon. All women are running for fitness and fun. The camaraderie will be palpable. Running in a women’s event is self-affirming and esteem boosting. Imagine thousands of women joined together by the love of a sport and accomplishing all 13.1 of those miles. How inspiring is that? Additionally, there is no other race where you will be treated as the princess-runner you are! Not like this! The Disney theme is all encompassing and a very fun way to run: Disney characters everywhere, with Spaceship Earth and Cinderella’s Castle as the backdrop. This is a wonderful way to experience the magic of Disney AND the power of female athletes.
A Royal Quest
The Disney Princess Half Marathon course is 13.1 miles, of course – almost as long as Rapunzel’s hair! And it takes place on Sunday, February 27 promptly at 6:00 a.m. The winding course is relatively flat (it’s Florida, after all), keeping mostly to small roads and paved paths within Disney’s kingdom. Your Quest begins and ends at Epcot. From the start, you will head west toward World Drive, where you will then head north and move toward Magic Kingdom. You will pass many resorts and lush green landscapes. By Space Mountain, you will have hit 5 miles, and then you enjoy Cinderella’s Magic Castle! By the time you run past Thunder Mountain you will have passed your 6.5 mile marker. Essentially, the course is one large loop, so once you leave Magic Kingdom, your journey takes a turn back to Epcot via Floridian Way.
Disney’s Princess Half Marathon uses the ChronoTrack timing system, assuring accurate results for all participants. The disposable D tag will be attached to the runner’s shoe before the race. There will be ten water and fluid stations, one food station, and four first-aid stations along the course. There will also be event-weekend transportation including shuttles to and from the start and finish lines for those staying in resort hotels.
When you register for this event, you will be showered with gifts, appropriate for running royals! Registrants will receive: Disney entertainment and refreshments through the wonderful Walt Disney World Resort, a commemorative Champion® Ladies Tech Shirt, a goody bag filled to the brim with awesome stuff, on-course refreshments, on-course Disney entertainment, post-race refreshments, family reunion area with live entertainment and characters; and finishers receive a very special jewel-encrusted tiara-shaped Princess medal. Race photographers will be on hand around the course and at the finish line, so remember to smile for your official Disney Princess Half Marathon photo! To receive a personalized bib with your name, you must register by January 1, 2011.
Royal Family 5K and Royal Family Kids’ Races
The Royal Family 5K is Saturday, February 26, 2011 at 7:00 a.m. This 5K is designed especially for Princesses and their families. Kids and guys are invited to run this one. The course is a winding tour through Epcot. There will be princess-themed Disney entertainment on the course and all runners will receive a personalized bib (also must register by January 1st for names to appear on bibs.), on-course refreshments, on-course Disney entertainment, T-shirt, goody bag, post-race refreshments, and a commemorative 5K finisher medallion.
This year, there will be an added stroller division for the 5K!
The Royal Family Kids’ Races are also Saturday but at 10:00 a.m. These races range from the 1 Mile Run to the Diaper Dash. Disney's Kids' Races will be hosted at ESPN Wide World of Sports Track & Field Complex and all participants receive a kids’ T-shirt, goody bag, post-race refreshments, and a commemorative finisher medallion. These races give your little ones the chance to earn his or her very own finisher medallion - just like Princess-Mom!
A Princess’s Treasure for the Half Marathon
Women’s open awards are based on gun time and will be presented in the Family Reunion area at 9:00 a.m. There will be awards for the top three overall finishers and the top three wheelchair winners. Age group awards will be given to the top five in each age division. Awards will also be given to the overall female Masters Champion, top three Mother -Daughter teams, the top three Sister-Sister teams, top three open teams, the top 5 females who serve in the United States Military, the club with the most participating members, and the fastest running club in the "World”. For more information on Princess Awards please go visit: http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/rundisney/princess-half-marathon/index?page=disneys-princess-half-marathon.
Fit for a Princess Expo
Disney's Fit for a Princess Expo is a two-day celebration of women’s fitness and health! The Expo will be open on Friday, February 25 and Saturday, February 26. It will be located in the Jostens® Center at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. The Expo will include seminars on training, racing, and nutrition, along with the opportunity to experience the latest in running and fitness equipment and gear. All runners must attend the Expo for race number and packet pick-up and to claim your commemorative tech shirt and goody bag. Make sure you stop by the official Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend merchandise shop at the Expo to purchase your Princess-themed racing gear; it is fit for a Princess but durable enough for a warrior.
Team in Training
The Disney’s Princess Half Marathon Weekend benefits The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS), the world’s largest voluntary health organization dedicated to the fight against blood cancers by funding research, education and patient services. With the support of thousands of volunteers and participants in the LLS Team in Training program, Disney’s Princess Half Marathon will help blood cancer patients live better, longer lives. The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society uses Disney’s Princess Half Marathon as a platform to create awareness of this life-saving cause and to raise much needed funds for research. Participants and volunteers have the opportunity to make donations directly at the point of registration or by visiting the race website at www.disneyprincesshalfmarathon.com. To learn more about the Team in Training program, and how you can make a difference, please visit:
Walt Disney World Resort Accommodations
The following host resorts are currently available for the weekend at special rates and include transportation to ALL race weekend activities:
• Disney's All-Star Sports Resort
• Disney's All-Star Music Resort
• Disney's All-Star Movies Resort
• Disney's Port Orleans Riverside Resort
• Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter Resort
• Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
• Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
• Disney's Old Key West Resort
• Disney's Polynesian Resort
Disney Sports Travel Agents can help ensure your trip is Princess perfect! To make your room reservations, please call (407) WDW-IRUN or visit the Website.
…And They Ran Happily Ever After…
Running like a girl never seemed so fun! You can bring your best friends, your family, or your prince! This is a magical adventure that must not be missed. Run with Disney’s royal family and run the unique race of a lifetime fit for your inner princess, queen, or pixie! Whatever your favorite Disney character, you will have plenty of opportunities to greet them along this course. And you will be treated like the Belle of the ball!
Event Site: http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/rundisney/princess-half-marathon/
To Register for this Event: http://www.active.com/framed/event_detail.cfm?EVENT_ID=1869499&CHECKSSO=0
runDisney Official Site: http://www.rundisney.com/